Tie Fighter 95 and DirectX trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGaribaldi

Tie Fighter 95 and direct x trouble...

Hello :)

I just got my hands on the Star Wars X-Wing collection (X-Wing, Tie Fighter and X-Wing vs Tie Fighter), in which the games supports Windows 95 :)

X-Wing works like a charm, but when I try to play Tie Fighter I have a problem...

It claims I don't have Direct X fully installed (I've got DX9), and tells to me re-install DX 5.2!

The problem seems to lie with the Direct 3d part of DX, as it can't seem to find any files for it... (See attached pic...)

If anyone could shed some light on this, I'd really appreciate it...

I'm running Windows 2k, with DX9 and CAT 3.1 for Radeon 9700pro...

Try installing DX5.2 as it says. Don't worry this shouldn't ruin you DX9 install (if it does you can always follow with a reinstall of DX9). Now you should have all the files your program is looking for.

Its worthwhile giving the above a try, although there are no guarantees that it will work!:D

One other thing I forgot - you have win2k so you might try DX7 instead of DX5.2 as I'm not sure that DX5.2 was available for win2k.

You are too quick for me!

I keep editing my posts little expecting you to read them before I finish - Sorry!:grinthumb

Didn't Thomas say it was possible to copy the DX files in the game directory ?

Maybe you should copy the DX 5.2 files in the game directory & it will try to use those instead of DX 9.

Well, installing DX 5.2 didn't do anything...
I just got a little message window telling me installation complete...
I pressed ok (the only button available), and got back to the "re-install" DX...

No matter what I did from there (re-install, ok, cancel etc) changed anything....

But it occured to me, I'm getting a wee little error when I analyze my computer... I'm running NT and not w95...

I've been trying to find out how to enable compatibility mode in win2k, but so far no luck...

Oh, and thank you for you suggestions! I really appreciate the help :)

And here are the DX diag pic, and the Analyze my computer pics:

dx.jpg

analyze this.jpg

Bah, nevermind....

Lucas Arts have figured out that Tie Fighter 95 can not be used with XP, and are thus most likely not compatbily with 200 pro... :(

Quite strange when you think about it, since the older game X-Wing works perfectly....

Isn't there an option to run the game without DirectX (i.e. in DOS mode)?

This might very well work, although I'm not sure whether you'll then have a problem with IRQ settings for sound.:D

Unfortunately no...

I could allways install it from floppies (as I actually got the original lying around somewhere), and use a DOS emulator to play it in, but that's more hassle than I'm willing to do (gotta install a floppy drive, find disks etc)...

Oh, well, guess I'll just bother lucas arts tech support dept instead... :D
Maybe if I keep it up long enough, they'll actually release a patch :)

To enable compatibility mode on 2K, look for a file called APCOMPAT.EXE on the 2K install disk.

Copy that file to your SystemRoot & launch it. You can now choose which application to launch in compatibility mode & which mode ( 95,98,NT4, etc ).

Thank you for the tip Dido :)

But, alas, it still won't load... Oh, well... Guess I'll just have to stick with X-wing... :-/

It's actually very simple...

just right-click on the tie95 icon in my computer, select properties, select compatability tab, check run compatability mode for box, and select win 95. Now always start prog by double clicking this icon

Re: Tie Fighter 95 and direct x trouble...

Originally posted by MrGaribaldi
I'm running Windows 2k, with DX9 and CAT 3.1 for Radeon 9700pro...

It's nice to try to help, but it's much more efficient to read the previous posts before adding one.;)

We appreciate the enthusiasm though.

PS. Welcome to TechSpot. Hope you enjoy your stay.:wave:

Yeah, thanks for the input, but alas it doesn't work..

Has been in contact with Lucas Arts over this a couple of times, and the answer is always the same... It doesn't work with 2k...

Guess I'll have to set up a "new" computer running W95 OSR2/W98SE...

blackdragon said:
It's actually very simple...

just right-click on the tie95 icon in my computer, select properties, select compatability tab, check run compatability mode for box, and select win 95. Now always start prog by double clicking this icon
I know this is a horrendously old thread, and I'll probably get in trouble, but I'm running Tie Fighter '95 on Vista, I set it up as quoted above, and it works fine, no problems whatsoever. I'm only posting this because it was one of the first things to show up when I googled "Tie Fighter 95 DirectX problem".

We prefer you not bump old topics unless necessary. In this case, I don't see it being bad as you didn't say "I need help!!!!!"... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back