Tile partners with Intel to get tracking tech into laptops

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: Tile on Thursday announced a partnership with Intel to help bring its tracking technology to original equipment manufacturers. Considering that nearly half of those questioned said the most common place they lose items is in their own home, well, it just seems like a natural fit at just the right time.

In short, it means future laptops and notebooks equipped with Intel hardware will be easier to track down if lost or stolen.

Tile CEO CJ Prober said that laptops and portable devices are more critical than ever as much of the world is currently working from home. “Our work with Intel means we’ll be ready to help PC users avoid disruption and keep track of their devices once we’re all on the move again,” the executive added.

A press release on the matter said solutions will be available for OEMs to adopt later this year, allowing customers to locate their portable computers even if the device is in sleep mode.

Such integration isn’t a first for Tile. At CES back in January, Tile announced a partnership with HP to bake its tracking technology into the PC maker’s Elite Dragonfly G2.

And according to Tile, it’s a feature that people actually want. Citing a recent global survey, Tile said 72 percent of respondents said the ability to locate a lost or misplaced laptop would be “very” or “extremely valuable.”

Permalink to story.

Both Google and Microsoft have find my device features for android and windows. I don't really see the benefit of having a hardware solution on top of that. It'd be one thing for people who want it but iterating it in all products is just a waste.

The product would be useful but I gave it a thumbs down when I realized they wanted a monthly fee for their service which made it entirely impracticable, especially since that fee was "per tile".

I assume this is a technology that can be used, whether your laptop is powered on or off. Just think, 24/7/365 nonstop tracking of your location.

So I’m guessing we are about to get a load of comments from people who don’t like the idea of their location being tracked. As they carry a mobile phone, probably with tinder installed on it.

We are pretty much already fully traceable. There are 7 billion humans on this planet. If someone is tracking you in particular there needs to be a pretty good reason why. In my case you should see my tinder photos!

I'd love this for bussiness class machine, then users can't say my laptop was stolen while the old one is sitting at home.

Is it an option or is it mandatory? If by default, then AMD laptops will be the norm.

Back