To build or not to build

Hope this is the right forum for this post :)
OK this is the deal. I have a Dell dimension 4600 right now. It has a P4 2.4 Ghz processor. 1024 pc3200 DDR, FX 5200 w/128Meg ram.
I am going to be upgrading my video card to a 6800 GT OC in about 2 weeks but to do so I will need a larger power supply. Only found one place that makes power supplies for Dells and a 450 watt will run me $150+.
As of now I do not have a PCI-E slot so what I would like to know is where is a good place to find bare bones systems and what are some things to look for. I could strip my Dell if needed "CDRW, DVDR, RAM, Hard drives and processor if needed" or should I build a gaming rig and keep the Dell as is for other stuff "dvd or cd burns, email...." and network the two together and use a 2 pc to 1 monitor cable???.
I'm going to have between $800 and $1000 to work with.

I have always had Intel processors but I see AMD is a little cheaper, due I dare try one?
Also I have Win XP home that came with my Dell. Can I use that in another pc?

I only use my pc for online gaming and a little web surfing.

Thanks

P.S. Because this deals with a few topics maybe there should be a "Building a pc" forum :stickout:

You can get barebone systems from most big computer shops. Try Newegg (and use one of our banners to get there ;) ).
You can also buy the mobo+CPU+memory separate and make your own barebones system.
If the XP home is the OEM version then it is tied to that specific. You should at least use the Dell case with the sticker for your new computer to ward off MS lawyers :p
From the point of view of fairness and common sense you can install that XP on any single computer.

I would go all new that 4600 case is small as I remember and $1000 can get you a good gaming computer not the best but good and you can all ways upgrad it.

Back