To partition or not to partition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I need to re-partition my hard drive but I am afraid to do so. I have 2 physical drives in my computer. My C: is the only one partitionned into 5 partitions. My D:is a whole drive not partitionned and I dont want to touch it. But I would like to increase the space on C: by combining it with partion E: If i do so, would I need to re-installed the OS?
I am using Partition Magic 4 from Power Quest, but they dont any information who to increase the space of a partition without losing or re-installing it. Can anyone advise on this ...what is i should do?

What OS are you using? Partition Magic 4 is pretty old, they are up to 8 now. The reason I ask is that if you have XP I don't think you can use anything before PM7 if you use NTFS (I think).

I have never used PM before version 6, but on 6 and up I know for sure there is a merge function where you can merge 2 partitions together. If 4 doesn't have merge does it have Resize? You may have to shrink down one of your partitions first, then resize C. But that wouldn't make E and C the same, if that was one of your goals.

You can only merge ADJACENT partitions, i.e. if you have C-D-E-F on one harddisk, you can merge C-D, D-E or E-F, but not C-E or C-F.
You will run into problems though because of the drive-letters changeing (unless you run XP and can reassign the drive-letters.

realblackstuff said:
You can only merge ADJACENT partitions, i.e. if you have C-D-E-F on one harddisk, you can merge C-D, D-E or E-F, but not C-E or C-F.
You will run into problems though because of the drive-letters changeing (unless you run XP and can reassign the drive-letters.
His partitions are likely adjacent, because his D is a seperate drive. So it should go C-E-F-G-H if he has 5 partitions on that drive. Provided he hasn't switched the lettering in XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back