Tom Clancy of Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon fame dies at 66

Shawn Knight

TechSpot Staff
Staff member
Best-selling author Tom Clancy died late Tuesday in a Baltimore hospital. The former insurance salesman rose to fame in the mid-1980s with his first published novel, The Hunt for Red October, and later went on to co-found video game developer...

[newwindow="https://www.techspot.com/news/54204-tom-clancy-of-rainbow-six-and-ghost-recon-fame-dies-at-66.html"]Read more[/newwindow]

TomSEA

TechSpot Chancellor
His influence in media over the last 30 years was incredible. Books, movies, games - all huge sellers and an influence on our society. Safe travels Mr. Clancy and thanks for all the great reads!

G

I've played all of Mr. Clancey's games, read his books and watched his movies. My favorites are the early Ghost Recon games, the Rainbow Six book, and the Splinter Cell games. He will be missed.

MilwaukeeMike

TS Evangelist
At least the 2nd great thriller author to die this year. Vince Flynn passed away in June. I hope George RR Martin is paying attention and finishes up his work quickly.

9Nails

TechSpot Paladin
I think I tried a demo of Splinter Cell, and picked it up for Xbox. But it wasn't fully to my liking. I prefer shooting aliens over humans. But I definitely knew of and respected Tom Clancy, and I'm saddened by the news. He was still young.

Chase_Daddy

TS Rookie
When I was 10 years old I started playing Rainbow Six on the MSN Gaming Zone. By far one of the best first person shooter games ever developed... and fun as well