Too many processes??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishquad

This is my first "real" post so please, be gentle...

I noticed that I have 68 processes running and that number doesn't seem to go down very much. It doesn't seem like all that much is going on at 3am that would explain such a high number of "processes" running. Is there a way to safely lower that number? or is it healthy for my system to appear so active when all else is quiet?
Thanks
Irishquad

68 processes is rather a lot to be running at the same time.

First, let`s check to make sure you don`t have any nasties running on your system.

Go and read this thread HERE, then post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread.

Regards Howard :)

What you can do to lower the processes is do this:

Start > Run > msconfig then go to Start up and uncheck all the stuff your system doesnt need to run properly ( Like MSN, AIM, or something like that )

Befor unchecking stuff that you dont know what it is, ask here so your computer doesnt get messed up ;)

Hijack log

I sure hope I did this right. Unfortunately, from the zip file I could not figure how to put it in the program files but the program is open and I was able to catch the log so we will see.
I appreciate your help
Irishquad

one more time

I apologize for my denseness and appreciate your patience. I have renamed the program to Hijackthis1991.exe and it is also now in the program files. Now I am going to attach the log file to this message and cross my fingers that I will appear a little less retarded.
Irishquad
Edit/Delete Message

The only nasty entry I can see in your HJT log is this.

C:\Program Files\MyWaySA\SrchAsDe

Uninstall it from add remove programmes in your control panel.

While you are there, uninstall anything else you don`t want or use.

You have all kinds of crap running on your system and that`s why you have so many processes running.

Click start/run and type msconfig into the run box and press the enter key. when the window appears, click the startup tab and disable anything you don`t want to run on startup. Click apply/ok and restart your system. Once your system has restarted, you`ll see a window that says you have used msconfig to make changes etc. Tick the little box that says not to run msconfig the next time you start your system and click ok.

Take a look at this thread HERE.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {4D25F926-B9FE-4682-BF72-8AB8210D6D75} - C:\Program Files\MyWaySA\SrchAsDe\deSrcAs.dll

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {4D25F921-B9FE-4682-BF72-8AB8210D6D75} - C:\Program Files\MyWaySA\SrchAsDe\deSrcAs.dll

O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - (no file)

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)

O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*

O16 - DPF: {13EC55CF-D993-475B-9ACA-F4A384957956} (Controller Class) - https://www.windowsonecare.com/install/cli/1.1.1067.8/WinSSWebAgent.CAB

Fix all 018-Protocol entries.

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT and reboot your system.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of Irishquad only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Howard,
I very much appreciate your help. I followed each step that you gave me and got rid of over 20 processes and quite a few worthless programs, as well as reduced the number of programs that will start when the system boots. Now we will see how much quicker things start to happen. I have 2 GB of RAM to work with so my computer was in no way acting sluggish but, I just didn't think it was healthy and have such a high number of processes running when I wasn't actually even doing anything.
Thanks again.
I have another question about CPU coolers and heatsinks but I will post those in another area. Maybe you have some excellent advice in that area as well so I'm sure we will talk again.
Take it easy
Irishquad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back