Toolbar Pop-up Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the toolbar there is a red balloon that looks just like the Windows Security Alerts balloon, but it doesn't have any description and it just pop-ups every 5 minutes and is really annoying. It blinks blue with a question mark, and then red with a red X on it ever second it changes. When you right or left click on it, it opens up a webpage to something called Virus Protect Pro. My friend said it was a bot.

Here is a pic of what it does.
53yog47.jpg

I have scanned the comp using Spybot Search and Destroy and it came up with something called Virus Protect Pro, and i fixed the problem, or it said it did. But everytime i start-up it is still there.

Any help or comments are appreciated.

download CCleaner and run the registry cleanup scan and then under the "tools" section look through the startup stuff and see if there's anything there that looks suspicious. anything running from a temp directory isn't usually a legit program

ok, scan with spybot again and see if it shows again

if not then go start > run > msconfig and have a look through there

i'm a bit confused because usually a registry clean and spyware scan would fix stuff like this :p

I already ran spybot again after i rebooted and it found some more stuff(because before i just stopped it like half way through the first time) and i fixed it, and its still there. And in msconfig it just shows the same thing as CCleaner

It has igfxtray, hkcmd, jusched, Clamtray(my antivirus), and Adobe Gamma Loader, which i have no idea what that is.

You have a problem:
1. igfxtray.exe Information: This is a valid program but it is not required to run on startup. Quick access to the control panel via a System Tray icon for graphics based upon the Intel chipsets.

2. hkcmd.exe Information: Intel Hotkey command activator This is a valid program, but it is up to you whether or not you want it to run on startup.
3. Adobe Gamma Loader.exe. The Adobe Gamma Control Panel is used to eliminate color casts in a monitor's display.
4. ClamTray.exe is a part Clamwin Antivirus.

5. jusched.exe Information: This is an undesirable program. Name: Java Sun Scheduler> Description: Added by the W32/Sdbot-CQC worm and IRC backdoor.

You do not need #1,2 or 3 on the startup. They should be unchecked on the Startup menu through msconfig. Are you familiar with using msconfig, or do you need help?

#5. Description: Click on Recovery for Removal. :http://www.sophos.com/security/analyses/w32sdbotcqc.html

Yes i am familiar with msconfig, but I do not get #5 description.

Edit:Nevermind i figured out what you meant by click on recovery for removal, ty.

Edit#2: For all the ways to remove the Worm, the first like 5 require that you have Sophos which i dont have and the rest are for different Operating Systems. And i am not paying for another anti-virus.

Isnt there just a manual way to remove it?

Windows XP Service Pack 2.
Its a little old, so i have like stone age RAM...(126mb)

I cant really play any games, but its running really nice for what i need it too do.

126MB RAM is nowhere near enough for you to move around on Windows XP. You need to get rid of everything you can, stop all start ups that are not absolutely necessary.

If you want to play games and you can't play games then it isn't running 'nice' for what you want to do. Please attempt the removal of infection and please seriously consider a memory upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back