Toopid Windoz XP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToLazyToThink

The windows XP installion boot shows up everytime I restart my system. I don't want to choose 'boot winows xp' everytime I restart grr. The other option is 'windows xp setup' which I obviously don't need. Besides when I push that it don't work anyways. No, the XP CD is not in the drive.... Help!

go into windows explorer and choose to show all files, including hidden files and system files.

open the file c:\boot.ini in notepad.

post its contents here.

or i spose a work around could be, assuming 'boot windows XP' is ur default option, and i'm guessing it stays on that screen for 30seconds etc...

right click on my computer --> properties --> startup and recovery, then from there, choose a delay of like, 1 second or something.

boot.ini>
[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Setup"

Ahhhh... That makes sense I'll screw around with this... Greeno 'startup and recovery' dosnt exist. If it was a second then I would never have time to switch it to 'boot windows Xp', though looks like I can change some thing with that boot.ini file... Thanks..

....anyway.... Right click on the file and choose properties, then untick the Read-Only box.

then.....

boot.ini>
[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Setup" <-- Delete that line, problem solved

Yeah, I tried though I cannot right click it to set the properties. Even when I select 'view invisable files' its umm not there... Its not viewable from command prompt either. Though maybe I can set the read-only options in command prompt anyways hmm.. If I put in notepad or address bar 'C:\boot.ini' its 'exists' lol...

AHhh

Ok, removeing that one line didnt work. So I removed everything except [Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect and it works... Yay..

Your boot.ini should read:

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[Operating Systems]

If you have that then all should be fine. its OK to cut and paste the code above in the file and then save it.

I dunno why the S is on its own on the line below, but its meant to be part of a continous WINDOWS so that the third line of the code reads "Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS" I tried sorting it but it will not work. Anyway, I'll attach a copy of the boot.ini I think you should use....

download this file : http://phantazmm.freeservers.com/boot.txt

save to hdd, rename to boot.ini and save to c:\

all should now be well

Originally posted by Greeno
....anyway.... Right click on the file and choose properties, then untick the Read-Only box.

then.....

boot.ini>
[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
[Operating Systems]
C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Setup" <-- Delete that line, problem solved

The problem with following what you said here is that its only half right. You've removed the incorrect line that you've marked in red, however the default parameter is still pointing to that. in the adsence of any valid line under operating systems that matches the default parameter, you will get some kind of funky error....

whether you do or not, I would leave that line in. just use the file I linked to and everything should be fine.

its usually a good idea to have a copy of any configuration files made before you edit them as well, just in case something goes wrong. this is doubly so for boot configuration files, where you might not be able to boot your machine to fix the problem under certain circumstances...

I do apologise, and thx for correcting me Phanta d00d :]

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[Operating Systems]

either way, the above is the correct boot.ini you need(like you said, having read it again).

Also, the reason you can't see the boot.ini is because, although you have clicked "Show hidden files and folders" there is another option just below saying "Hide proteced operating system files (Recommened)", untick that and all shall be revealed ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back