Toshiba G25-AV513, 120W Power Supply, Airline Power limitations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested in the Toshiba G25 laptop but have heard that you can't use it on airplane seat power. It comes with a 120W AC power supply (15Vx8A), but I've been told that most airlines limit seat power to 75-90W max. Lind sells a 12V car adaptor for the G25, but specifically won't include an airline plug for this reason (which I can get independently, of course). I've read some interesting electrical discussions on this board. Can ya'll comment on the following or provide any general advice about power consumption?

1) Given that the voltage of the laptop and airline seat power pretty much match up (12-15V), if the amp draw on the laptop exceeds what the airline power supply can deliver, what will happen? Will it damage the laptop to feed it insufficient current? Will it shut down the laptop altogether? Merely dim the screen?

2) If I remove the laptop battery, which requires power to charge it, how much will that reduce the power need of the laptop? I'm not sure how to work the math, but the spec sheet states the battery supplies 4400mAh at 8A output. Does it require the same to charge it?

3) Most importantly, on my 15 hour transpacific flights, will the DVD player work with that ultrabrite screen at the low airline power supply? A nice feature of the laptop is that you can watch DVDs without powering up the Windows operating system (it has a small linux OS for the DVD player). Granted, the DVD drive and screen are probably 2 of the most power hungry devices.

3) Has anyone used a G25, or a similar 120W laptop on a plane?

The ToshibaDirect support staff were mum on the issue, probably for legal reasons.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back