Toshiba M55-S3291 display driver error on boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
my toshiba satellite M55-S3291 has a error on booting. in most cases (about 2 out 3), the LCD will light up but not display any boot info (backlight is on).
however, when i connect an external monitor and activate it by the Fn+F5 key set, it will show windows booting and running just as usual.

sometimes, though, usually on one out of three boots, the LCD comes on as usual and works fine till the next reboot.

drivers are up to date, I did a windows recovery to a date when I know the problem was not existent, did a virus check and so forth. Toshiba does not know what is wrong so here we go...

any suggestions?

It's nothing to do with Windows or drivers.
It seems to be either a faulty LCD or coneection to motherboard.

There is also a slim possibility that it may be faulty bios configuration.
In that case just run BIOS defaults, by first hitting (not literally) the key that gets you into BIOS when the computer starts (DEL or F2 or other)
Once in BIOS got to setup defaults (usually the last setting) and select it, then Save and Exit.

thanks,

no this morning I can't see anything any more. the external monitor shows windows booting and turns to stby again, switching through the monitors with the key combo doens't do any thing any more either, so I can't access BIOS.

why do you think it's not a driver/OS error?

Even if you remove the internal hard drive (with Windows and everything) on it. You will STILL see a screen (ofcourse it will say no operating system found) but the screen will still show something.

Therefore it's nothing to do with drivers (in Windows) on the hard drive
This is a fault with the LCD. (by the way is your external monitor unplugged when turning on?)

Pull out the power and battery (and all external devices - USB; Video; external Keyboard; and mouse)
Remove the battery (usually a slider or clip - underneath, that allows the battery to be removed)
Hold down the On button on the laptop for 30 seconds (dispersing all internal voltage)
Put the power cord back in (the battery can be left out for the moment)
Confirm the power adaptor plugged into the wall socket and on.
Turn on the laptop
Hopefully you should see the LCD screen.

kingair_six, get the fresh windows installed WITHOUT any video drivers. and, what videocard do you have in your laptop? is it ATI X600SE? if so - the videochip is dying.

I don't understand what you mean lamo.
I've stated even remove the entire harddrive, so re-installing Windows may not be a good test at this point.

Also are you suggesting that everyone with ATI X600SE and no display, means motherboard is dead, seeming it's a notebook? Please remember external monitor works fine.

Before we go down that track, lets hear the reply for:
Removing all power
CMOS reset
Removing all addons (including any cards, or extra ram)
Data cable in display, even inverter board - Not discussed yet.

okey, done this test:

without the external monitor plugged in, I did the CMOS resest and id did not display anything again on the LCD.

To the earlier question: I did have the external monitor plugged in when booting before. But since this setup quit working yesterday anyways, I did not bother plugging it in during the CMOS reset.

kimsland, i'll explain. every videochip has two video channels: the LVDS channel, and d-sub one. when you can't see image on LCD, but can see in the external monitor - it's 100% videochip faulty(of course, if you tried to switch between two monitors by Fn+F5 or Fn+F6). in this laptop the videocard is mounted via MXM connector, you can check the service manual for this laptop. so, there's possibility to order the videocard via ebay or so..

want to add, the LCD in this thread are backlighted, which means, that BACKLITE_ENA signals comes up right. so, my opinion - this is videochip faulty. kinglair_six, tell me which videocard installed in your laptop?

the video card is

Intel GMA 900

I just talked to another tech and she mentioned that this repair may not be something I can do myself?

intel chips may fault too. well, i recommend to disassembly the laptop, and check the connection between LCD and motherboard. and you should disassembly the LCD assembly to check connection of the LVDS cable to LCD-module.

okey, this thing is driving me nuts.

Now, any time I start it up with the external monitor, it will display just fine, do reboots and still work and so forth.

My next idea based on this observation would be that the connection is loose (i think somebody mentioned that in here?!). However, I don't really dare to open the thing.
Does anybody have experience doing that?

okey, opened it yesterday. it turned out that all the cables were where they were supposed to be. closed it back up and now I'm probably gonna pull everything out that I can sell, and get a new one...

kingair_six, there's possibility of LCD dying. you should check the laptop with another LCD screen if it shows you a picture. then, you need another LCD cable to check it's faulty, and then(this is the last one) - the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back