Toshiba satelite keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Little help if possible, i recently came to suspect moisture in the keyboard of my Toshiba Satelite laptop. Upon booting the keystrokes are all mixed up making it impossible to log into the O/S. The symbols outputted by each key are random, some being normal, some giving no response at all and some ouputting very unusual symbols. Has anyone encountered anything similiar to this and is it possible to remedy this by taking the keyboard apart and cleaning it in it's individual pieces.
If so how do you remove the keyboard?

Cheers,
Cian

If this is a moisture problem (and it certainly seems so), you will be best off just replacing the keyboard. Most new keyboard circuitry is generally laid out on a plastic-type film which the keystrokes come down on to make connection. Once this is shorted by moisture, all is generally lost for it. I've tried repairing this on a Microsoft Natural keyboard with just wasted time.

As far as getting it off, that's a little different for most laptops. There's a combinations of screws (usually hidden by some type of cover) along with some gentle prying on the edges (be very careful with this). If you're not comfortable with this I'd recommend taking it to a professional.

Hope this helps a little.

What generally happens the inner workings of a laptop keyboard are exposed to moisture? does it dry out and resume working properly or does it short out causing irrpairable damage? I appreciate the help, just a cause of serious concern at the moment. I don't even think any water got into the keyboard, more just a result of it being in a room with moisture.
Cheers
Cian

That shouldn't have any effect......but the keyboard might've just gone bad. This is relatively common with laptops. I've replaced quite a number myself.

Taking the keyboard off your laptop isn't usually very hard.

It depends on the model of Toshiba you are talking about.. Satellite, Satellite Pro.. Tecra... Portege... And so on. I see you have a Satellite.

Lots of parts to the Satellite snap together. There are quite a few screws, but Toshiba is often nice enough to label each one (F5, F8, F16 etc..) so you don't lose track of which screws go where.

To take the keyboard out, you will need to remove the plastic cover from the top part of the keyboard. This usually snaps out by prying it up with something sturdy and slim. Don't be afraid to be "rough" with it, because if often takes some pressure to get these kinds of parts to snap out of their place.

Next, there will be screws underneath the laptopl. You should remove all of the F5 and F16 screws because these will hold the keyboard and palm rest down.

There may be hidden screws. Each model is different. There may be screws underneath the inside of the battery bay for example. So if it feels like the keyboard isn't coming out, then there is probably a screw hidden somewhere.

And when you do lift the keyboard up, be very gentle. The cables which connect the keyboards and mice are not made for punishment. It is very easy to rip one if you are careless.

There may be more to it than this. I've seen Satellites where you have to take the entire upper bezel off and remove the screen hinges etc...

But may this information will help you figure it out yourself.

check if your NB is still under warranty. if it is, you can send that to a Toshiba ASP who will take care of it for u.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back