Toshiba Satellite 1115-S103 not booting at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toshiba Satellite 1115-S103 not booting at all - totally stumped - any ideas welcomed

Hi everyone,
I left my Toshiba Satellite 115-S103 with the Norton Antivirus running when I left the house. I came back and it had completed and said there was no viruses. I didn't touch the laptop, I just went to bed. When I got up the next day the computer wouldn't come back to life, so I killed the power and tried to restart it. It wouldn't boot at all. No HDD activity at all. About an hour later, after I had just left it alone, I tried and it booted up fine. Then I restarted to see if the problem had solved itself, and it wouldn't boot. Awhile later I booted it and it didn't get into windows, it stopped at this screen.

Phoenix BIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
opyright 1985-2001 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
All Rights Reserved
BTK0 BIOS Version V1.20
CPU = Mobile Intel (R) Celreon (R) CPU 1.50 GHz
512M System RAM Passed
256K Cache SRAM Passed
System BIOS shadowed
Video BIOS shadowed
Fixed Disk 0: IC25N020ATCS04-0
ATAPI CD-ROM: MAT****ADVD-ROM SR - 8177
Mouse initialized
ERROR
Resource Conflict - Allocation error static node #0D
Press <F!> to resume, <F2> to Setup

Press [F2] for Setup, Press [F12] for boot device selection menu

Then the computer froze and I couldn't get passed this screen, so I restarted and had the same problem of it not booting at all.
A while later I got into Windows, (just tried booting and it worked fine), and it was running really slow, so I checked to processes running and there was an Isass.exe running that was using up alot of CPU power. So I looked up the Isass.exe and some ppl say it's a virus and others say it might mean I have a virus, the thing is that Norton had just run and it said I was clean.
Now the laptop won't boot at all, there seems to be no HDD activity, and I can't do anything with it.

If anyone can help, please post a message.
thanks,
Aaron

Edit: I noticed it starred out part of my message there, those stars are * * * * in the error message.

Edit: I just remembered one more thing. When it finally started up again I noticed that it had done an automatic Windows security update. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but it's another thing I noticed.

Edit: new developments: Well it got to the error screen again now, but the Resource Conflict error wasn't there, it was "0280: Previous boot incomplete - Default configuration used" and the very last line about the [F2] and F[12] was gone. Now it's just doing the same thing again and not booting at all. With all my reading I'm beginning to suspect that BIOS is not running POST all the time, or BIOS isn't working or something. Can anyone tell me if this makes any sense given what I have explained is happening?

Edit: Well new developments....I left the laptop overnight with the battery out and the power supply unplugged. I came back to it in the morning (8 hrs later) and plugged in the AC and it started up no problem. What's going on!!??? I haven't tried restarting it again because I've been running checks on it, and it seems to be working just fine, but I'm sure as soon as I shut down, it will be just like the other times and not restart for me.

Edit: Well i've heard a trick about freezing a stick of RAM to get it to temporarily work. So since I started thinking that it is some type of hardware problem with my laptop, maybe cooling it alot would help it get going. The problem is only with booting, once it is booted it seems to run as long as it wants. Although I haven't tested that theory thoroughly (only a bit over an hour or so). So I didn't want to put it in the freezer and damage the LCD and I didn't want to take the LCD off, so I put the laptop in the fridge for about 10 minutes. When I took it out, it started up no problem and is now running again. I don't know if it had to do with it cooling way down, or what, but that seems to have allowed it to boot. I'll try it again to see if it's consistent.

Edit: Well I tried the fridge thing again, and that's twice now that it has worked fine after being in the fridge for 10 or 15 minutes. It seems to be consistent that if I shut it down, then put it in the fridge, it will start up fine.

One more thing

I just remembered one more thing. When it finally started up again I noticed that it had done an automatic Windows security update. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but it's another thing I noticed.

Please don`t insert that word again.

Depending on what you wrote as the error message, Techspot has an automatic censor for certain words.

Regards Howard :)

sleppy said:
sorry about that, I didn't realize it was a big deal. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

Hey that`s ok, no problem.

No doubt someone will be along presently to advise you.

Laptops aren`t my thing really. However, I think you maybe need to take it in and have it looked at by the pros. Especially if it`s still under warranty.

Other members, may have better advice.

BTW. Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

pros

I bought it second hand and it's not under the warranty anymore, so I kind of need to figure it out myself. Any help from anyone would be great.
thanks

new developments

Well i've heard a trick about freezing a stick of RAM to get it to temporarily work. So i started thinking that it is some type of hardware problem with my laptop, maybe cooling it alot would help it get going. The problem is only with booting, once it is booted it seems to run as long as it wants. Although I haven't tested that theory thoroughly (only a bit over an hour or so). So I didn't want to put it in the freezer and damage the LCD and I didn't want to take it off, so I put the laptop in the fridge for about 10 minutes. When I took it out, it started up no problem and is now running again. I don't know if it had to do with it cooling way down, or what, but that seems to have allowed it to boot. I'll try it again to see if it's consistent.

Cleaning

I actually did that, and it hardly had any dust in and around that fan, which is usually the problem with these Toshiba Satellites. I don't know where else to look to clean though, but from what I could see, it's clean. Also, if it was overheating wouldn't it just crash on me and then not boot until it cooled off? It's not crashing, it's just not booting when I shut it down.

still stumped

Well thanks for the feedback anyways...I'm trying the fridge thing again to see if it'll boot after that again.

new

fridge worked again...seems to let me boot, but problem is still there. I don't want to have to refridgerate my laptop everytime I want to boot it up.

Aaron,

A couple things:

1. Please make sure to differentiate between Lsass.exe and (eye) Isass.exe. Lsass.exe is required for your computer to run. Eyesass.exe is a virus.

2. If the laptop is works fine once booted, and you’re seeing “ERROR Resource Conflict - Allocation error static node #0D” there’s a good chance that something is wrong with the part of the BIOS responsible for initially getting things rolling.

To solve # one just check out the task manager. You should only see one file Lsass.exe file there. If you see two you’ve most likely been virused.

As for the second part, failures during that part of the boot process can only occur in hardware. Software hasn’t had a chance to load yet, which is bad news for you. With laptops there really isn’t much you can pull out and test, so you may need to take it into a Toshiba service center. The following repair centers are in your area:

Nexinnovations - 306-653-7480
Microage - 306-242-4000
Compusmart - 306-244-4300
Horizon Computers - 306-665-5666

They are all authorized Toshiba dealerships, but I don’t really know much about them as individual companies, so you’ll have to roll the dice there. To make things worse, it’s probably not cheap. I don’t know what they’re going to charge, but I would bet upwards of $40/hr + parts. I wish I had better news for you, but what you’ve described sounds like a hardware problem to me.

Also – seriously, guy. We haven’t seen each other in over six months, and the only contact I get from you is a message saying you want my help. No hello, no plesantries at all, really. Not even a “I hope you’re doing well, I know we haven’t spoken in a while but could you give me a hand”. You’re a jerk. It’s nice to see I’m missed.

Adam

Addendum -

you might be able to flash the BIOS. However, if there's hardware damage i'm not 100% certain if it will fix it, or make it much worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back