1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Toshiba tecra 8. Is it possible to upgrade the video card?

By soulman ยท 6 replies
Mar 4, 2007
  1. Hi guys i'm new here and really not that good in the pc world but i recently purchased a new toshiba laptop tecra 8, really good stuff, but recently i've encountered a problem when i installed "call of duty 2" i complete the installation successfuly but when i try to play the game a message comes on my screen saying that there is an error with the directx. The directx in my pc is the latest cause i checked and just to be sure i installed it again but no use. Then i asked a guy about it and he said most probably its with my graphics card, i then checked the specs of my laptop and found out that is an intel built in card the type is "mobile intel(r) 945gm express chipset. My question is: can i upgrade my laptop card to a stronger one or because it is a built in card then i will not be able to change it? The other question is: will this card play this game or any other game with similar graphics? If not then should i just sell it now and buy a new one even though i payed about $1,700 for. Please somebody help!!!!!!!!

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Laptops don't have video cards, they only have on-board video chips. These chips are part of the motherboard. Your options are to upgrade the video driver or buy a better graphics laptop...

3. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,425   +112

Which Tecra 8? do you have?

4. soulman

soulman TS Rookie Topic Starter

hi

Hi there, the attachment has the spec of my laptop. i know its long but i really dont understand them that mutch so u check them out, i hope these info help, thanks.

5. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,425   +112

Again most Intel base graphics on mobile MoBO are very slow. What you should have check out ATI M200 PCI-Express most likely you would find that on AMD Mobile X64 CPU. That's extremely quick and good for all sorts of video stuff. That's what I had picked up. Your system is more for business applications and some 3D gaphics.

6. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

not exactly true. MOST laptops are integrated video. There are a few high end laptops (for gamers) that have swappable specialty made cards - but they're very expensive and uncommon.

7. soulman

soulman TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks everybody for your insight, i guess unfortunatly my best solution is to sell my laptop and search for another one which satisfies my gaming needs. But anyways i appreciate your info guys.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.