Totally random BSOD's

Status
Not open for further replies.

i30i3i3y

Hi all,

I've been googling my problem for a while now with no luck. I keep getting BSOD's randomly.

The last two were,

STOP: 0xA, 0x10, 0x2, 0x1, 0x80500C32
STOP: 0x8E, 0xC0000005, 0xF7C44CD4, 0x0

My setup is,

P4 2.4 GHz 533 FSB
1Gb RAM PC2700 (1x 512 Mb Infineon, 1x 512 Mb Elixir)
MS-6585 (MSI 648F Neo Series) Motherboard
Radeon 9800 pro
AverTv Tv Tuner card
LiteOn CD-RW
NEC ND3520A DVD-RW
Maxtor 120Gb HDD 2mb Cache
Maxtor 200Gb HDD 8Mb Cache
Some generic firewire card and network card
330W PSU on a Suntek Acrylic case

(I've tried to be as thorough as possible)

The pc BSOD's totally at random. At times it'll work for days without any hiccups and at others it'll reboot 3 times a day. I'm wondering whether it could be a psu problem or maybe overheating? Reading around it seems it may be a driver problem but I have no idea where to start. The BSOD doesn't refer to a particular driver.

I run Ubuntu linux in dual boot and never have any problems in it. I've concluded that this is a windows specific problem, possibly a driver problem. But which one! The reboots are totally random so I'm not sure how far I'd get with running the bare essentials and putting bits in one at a time.

Very rarely I've had a blank blue screen when playing games. I'm assuming that this is a graphics card problem. I'll get round to addressing that once I figure out what to do about these BSOD's. For all I know they may be connected.

If anyone can interpret these minidumps and point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful.

Attachments

• Mini072405-01.txt
    92 KB · Views: 15
  • Mini072505-03.txt
    92 KB · Views: 6
I don't know why it would work fine in Linux, but your PSU is pretty weak for powering a P4 machine. Probably this is not what's causing the BSODs, but you might try a different one from a friend or something.

After analyzing your minidump, it is faulty RAM. Reseat memory to another memory slot. If it still does not work, downclock the RAM. If you have more than one memory stick, take one of them and diagnostic which memory stick is faulty.

I was fearing that. I did run memtest for about 30 minutes and it came up with nothing. I'll try what you said, my only quibble is i'll have to leave it running untill it fails as theres no pattern. Its kinda like the halting problem.

Another thing is that my 3.3v rail is running at 3.2v. The memory runs off the 3.3v rail right? Could this be a problem? My rails are 3.2, 5.06, 11.76.

Would running memtest for longer show up any faults? Would it make a difference if i ran it while only one stick is in the machine?

I've had a new error as well, something to do with usbohci.sys. This just gets better and better.

Some faulty RAM can pass memtest. Your memtest result does not confirm that your RAM is good.

Lately ive been having problems extracting multipart rar files. Each time I try to extract it says crc failed in one of the parts. Only the part number is different each time. If I try enough times it eventually extracts successfully. I'm thinking this must be bad memory or dodgy disk. (but if its disk, surely it would never extract?)

Is there any sure fire way I can test if a particular memory module is bad rather than wait around for it to crash?

I need to be absolutely sure its my memory to blame before I shell out for better memory.

Thanks.

You have 1x 512 Mb Infineon and 1x 512 Mb Elixir. Take out one of them. If no BSOD does not occur, the removed memory module is bad. This is most reliable test.

Hey i have a SONy VAIO 2.66ghz laptop 512 ram .. i get random blue screens i have reformatted and installed my reg apps which are fairly simple, MS OFFICE, mcafee virus, NERO 6, Limewire , winamp and a couple other p2p sharing software that i have on my desktop and work fine anyway, anyway so even after i reformatted and updated all drivers and software it still occured 2day.. 1 thing worth mentioning is i updated my cd-rw firmware to a wrong version to a version for HP instead of SONY however the cd drive and rw works fine .. and i almost never use it.. the BSOD occurs randomly abuot once every couple days and is very annoyin as i kNo it is a very bad sign. i take good care of my comp and cant understand how this is happening.. could be cpu overheat or ram faulty but ram consistantly works fine. anyway any help would be appreciated

Open a new post. Attach the minidumps and sysdump event log.

When Windows crashes with blue screen, it writes a system event 1001 and a minidump to the folder \windows\minidump
Check system event 1001 and it has the content of the blue screen

Event ID: 1001
Source: Save Dump
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.The bugcheck was : 0xc000000a (0xe1270188, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804032100).
Microsoft Windows..... A dump was saved in: .......

Control Panel -> Adminstrative Tools -> Event Viewer -> System -> Event 1001. Copy the content and paste it back here

Zip 5 to 6 minidumps and attach the zip files here. I will study the dump and find out the culprit.

I've found out that the memory dont like to work together and I think i've killed my motherboard :dead:

I ran memtest for longer this time and got over 8000 errors. The first 800 odd came on test #5. The errors started from about 508mb. So I'm guessing theres a problem going from one stick to the next?

I tried the sticks independently, ran several passes on #5 and did a standard, all ok. As soon as I put both in (whichever order, whichever slots) run test #5 and bam, 1000 odd errors starting after 500mb.

Now, I seem to have done something when pulling sticks out and stuff, my pc doesnt boot. The cpu fan goes on, the cd/dvd respond but nothing on screen and no error beeps (no beep at all). I've double checked all the connections.

In the end I dismantled everything and put it back together again and it beeped. quickly went into memtest and memtest crashed, all text went garbled. So booting now is hit and miss.

I'm thinking the motherboard is to blame. I'd been having problems with it from the start. One consistent problem is that when I shutdown the pc if I have a ps2 keyboard attached its numlock, scroll-lock and capslock lights keeping flashing.

So I'm guessing my mobo is fubar. Gonna change it and throw in a new 500W psu for good measure. I guess I'll have to run on 512 ram for now :(. But hopefully that will solve my problems. Anyways, thanks for you help cpc2004.

Any cheap but reliable mobo reccommendations anyone? Current specs in a previous post.

yep,

Changed the motherboard and psu and case (sledgehammer method i know :p)

Now running the same cpu and same memory in a P4P800-X in dual channel. 400W generic power supply. No bugs so far. Must've been the board and/or psu, the memory seems good. All seems ok now. Thanks for asking.

I was searching the Internet for the useful purpose of a file in Windows and found Tech Spot. I see all the complaints regarding BSODs in the Forum and realized many people have the same problems as I have had. I had just built a new business computer and had BSODs right from the gitgo. I hope this helps someone correct their problem as this took me about six weeks to resolve. First the stats: AMD 939 Athlon 64 x 2 4200+, Asus A8n-SLI nForce4 Ultra motherboard, 500w PS, Corsair XMS 2GB Dual Channel DDR400 Ram, ATI FireGL V3100 128md PCI Express x16 Video, Sony 1.44mb, Sony 16x DVD-R-RW, Sony DVD Rom, Viewsonic VP930b LCD monitor. Windows XP (full retail, new install-not oem). Now the story. Booted up fine no hang-ups, installed Windows and immediately updated from Windows website. Next I installed the Asus motherboard drivers CD and up dated them. Then the Viewsonic drivers with current updates. Within two hours after startup the BSODs started happening. During the next three weeks crashes were plentiful with crash and dead, to crash and auto re-boot at random. I couldn’t make it crash on command, it would crash at random. I downloaded the Microsoft MemCheck and ran it twice with no errors stated. I checked the System Drivers folder and no ! or ? were displayed. I emailed Asus and never received a response. I finally called Asus and the tech told me to send the board back to where I got it (I just couldn’t believe this was a motherboard proplem). After three weeks I emailed Microsoft and within one day I received a response. They recommended the usual update this, that, check this, that, do this, do that, most of which I told them I already have done. On the third email exchange the tech gave me the following solution to try and since doing what she (yes she!) recommended it hasn’t crashed once. It runs perfectly now and has continually for about a week. Before it wouldn’t run any more than two hours without crashing. Below is a what she sent me, hope this helps somebody, it sure helped me.

After checking the dump files, I find that the BSOD is caused by nvtcp.sys. This file belongs to the network card and it is a known issue.
Step 1. Boot into Safe Mode
=====================
1. Restart the computer.
2. Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.
3. Choose Safe Mode, and press Enter.
4. Start the computer in Safe Mode.
Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary. To return the system back to Normal Mode, we can simply restart the computer.
Step 2. Rename the driver in Safe Mode
=====================
1. Click Start, and click Control Panel.
2. Double-click Folder Options.
3. Click the View tab.
4. Remove the check mark from "Hide extensions for known file types", and click OK.
Please rename the following files in the folder C:\Windows\system32\drivers: nvtcp.sys
We can rename it to nvtcp.old
Then we can restart the computer and monitor the issue. Please let me know the result.
Best Regards,

hello my friend is having the same problem. This happens when he leaves the computer on the whole entire day. I believe he is getting the BSOD due to overheating but I'm not quite sure about that.
NOTE: He is running Windows Vista

He sent me this:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name:BlueScreen
OS Version:6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.2
Locale ID:1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode:1000007e
BCP1:C0000005
BCP2:82650890
BCP3:89357A30
BCP4:8935772C
OS Version:6_0_6001
Service Pack:1_0
Product:768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini123008-06.dmp
C:\Users\Kids\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-89700-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\Kids\AppData\Local\Temp\WERDA28.tmp.version.txt
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

******He is unable to access his minidump files. Upon clicking, he recieves, "Access Denied".
*As the day progresses (Computer on- ALWAYS) the BSOD intervals get closer and closer.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- I suggest a whole computer wipe.

What do you prefer him to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back