Transfer speeds fast enough to get a DVD in 5 Seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNGX1275

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/03/0318_030318_internet.html
Scientists have developed a new data transfer protocol for the Internet fast enough to download a full-length DVD movie in less than five seconds, the California Institute of Technology said today.
The protocol is called FAST, standing for Fast Active queue management Scalable Transmission Control Protocol (TCP).

The researchers achieved a speed of 8,609 megabits per second (Mbps) by using 10 simultaneous flows of data over routed paths, the largest aggregate throughput ever accomplished in such a configuration, Caltech said in a news release. "That is 153,000 times that of today's modem and close to 6,000 times that of the common standard for ADSL (Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line) connections."

INCREDIBLE, I sense that in a few years, this may take the role of DSL. I get really excited when I hear of advancements like this, what are the chances that this new technology will be released to the public any time soon? Either way, FAST is going to have limitless possibilities :bounce: .

Hey, in a few years people will laugh at you if you don't have it. You will need it just to play Quake IX online.

I bet the goverment (or some other spy like organisation) is already using this right now.

Or even that ECHELON (or something like that) must be using to collect terbytes of data to analayse.

Status
Not open for further replies.