Transfering files: small = slow, big = fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubKamran

OK, what's wrong here? I was trying to transfer a 56MB folder to my other computer and it just went WAY to slow.

Then the next day, I transfer about 4 100-200MB files and it takes 1 minute.

I'm running on a 100mbps network with the 2 computers being Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP Pro.

I tested the 56MB folder with a direct cable to both computers also, same thing. My Sygate says nothing over 18KB/sec while the big files were like 60MB/sec.

This is how networking (and actually all transport) works.
Imagine delivering a ton of water in one litre bottles versus one big tank. You'd have to fill the small bottles, cap them load them onto the truck, drive, unload, uncap, pour empty. Or do the same once for the big tank.

The protocol overhead (and SMB isn't that good of a protocol anyway) for many small files is a much bigger percentage (both time and data wise) than for a couple of big files.

You can try using a CD-R or a flash disk instead of networking or some other program instead of Windows Explorer and Windows file sharing. Or maybe compress the folder into one zip ile before transferring.

Originally posted by SubKamran
:(

So I have to wait 45 minutes for a 56MB folder to transfer?

If there are thousands of smaller files like documents, pictures etc... Yes.

Nodsu's last advice is the best, use Winzip or Winrar to compress the whole lot into one big file. Then copy it across and unzip/unrar it there, using the "Use folder names" option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back