Transfering Windows to another HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalX

Is it possible to transfer windows XP, already installed, and all the programs on it, from one hard drive to another without reinstalling, provided that the other HDD has enough space to hold it all?

Yes it is. Are you interested in how to do it too, or did you just want to know? :p

You need some special programs to do this, either dedicated disk cloning software or some advanced partitiong software. Or just plain vanilla Linux/BSD on a floppy/CD..

I am interested in how to do it and whether or not it will take less than 2 hours. Could you explain to me what programs I need and the steps I need to take? Thanks very much!

Well... I want something that is free. Thanks for the suggestion though!
EDIT: Wouldn't it be possible to just copy all the files from the C: Drive over to the D: Drive or would that not work?

That wouldn't work becuse windoze is full of copyprotection and you need something that can by pass it. I know there is some good utility that lets you do 1 copy before you have to pay for it. But I can't think of the name.

Your best (free) bet would be gparted run off a CD Linux like Knoppix or INSERT or the Seagate disk migration utility.

Ok I have a knoppix liveCD, what are the steps to take to copy Windows to the other HDD? I assume I have to boot into Knoppix and run Qtparted... Is that what I use or is it something else?

provided that this copying stays in the same machine. if you clone this hdd and put it in another machine, IT WILL NOT WORK AT ALL.
you can use acronis true image 9.0, but it's not free. it's a fraction of the cost of norton ghost (around $50.00). and it's much better. you can also use dos commands to copy an entire disk. commands like DISKCOPY OR XCOPY with various parameters to make sure that EVERYTHING GETS COPIED down the smallest items deeply burried within several deep directories.

No, the DOS commands will not copy the boot record and partition information. Nor does DOS support the NTFS filesystem that XP is most likely installed on.

Nodsu said:
No, the DOS commands will not copy the boot record and partition information. Nor does DOS support the NTFS filesystem that XP is most likely installed on.
i'm not talking about external DOS. i'm talking about command window (which is the same thing) within XP. diskcopy will copy a complete disk. xcopy may or may not copy MBR.

alidabiri said:
i'm not talking about external DOS. i'm talking about command window (which is the same thing) within XP. diskcopy will copy a complete disk. xcopy may or may not copy MBR.

The recovery console isn't the same thing as DOS, although it looks and navigates the same. And I don't base this just on a technicality... It's completely different inside and out.

diskcopy? I'm pretty sure that only copies removable drives, like floppy diskettes. Also, xcopy does not copy MBRs.

So neither idea is a very good option.

If you plan on using commercial software, I can vouch with Acronis Disk Director (Or Partition Expert). Great software... and I've used it countless times for years with no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back