Transferring files from a laptop SATA drive to a desktop IDE drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop (M45 S2692) I was trying to install a new partition using Partition Magic, apparently it didn't go too well. Upon rebooting it never installed my software and I got the message "Operating System Not Found" I couldn't boot, so I switched back to my primary OS (Windows XP Home) I got a few errors when doing so,
"xmnt 2002 program not found" and "autochk program not found"
I did a little research and found that Some parts of my partition were hidden so I needed to go in and make them visible. Well, lets just say that didn't go over too well. Now it wont boot at all. I get a black screen with a bunch of things on it. So, I gave up and went onto my desktop to see how I can retrieve my data so I can just clear my hard drive and do a fresh install on it and put my files back on. I bought a Manhattan SATA 150 to IDE Converter. I hooked everything up, the problem I am having now is that my computer recognizes the drive, but it is not visible or accessible. I trie4d changing the BIOS, changing it from Master to Slave. still no luck. If I change the pins to slave, I cant find the hard drive in Admin options. When it is there, I figured I would try to change the letter of the drive so it might pop up in my "My Computer". No luck. When I right click it, all I get is the option to delete the partition. I'm lost now, I have no clue what else to do, and I can't afford $150 to get it done at a shop. Any ideas of what the problems may be or if I am missing something?
The SATA drive is an 5400 RPM 80 GIG Hitachi Model HTS541080G9SA00
The desktop is a Dell Intel R Pentium 4 CPU 2.66 GHz 760 MB RAM running Service Pack 2 on Windows XP Home as well.
All I want to do is be able to take the files from the laptop SATA drive and put them onto the Dell IDE drive until I can reformat my laptop. Then put it all back. Impossible? I am beginning to think so.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the novel, I am just trying to post as much info as possible to save random questions later.

Fragrant Coit said:
If the desktop has SATA, then just plug the Laptop drive in, make sure the BIOS is set to boot from the IDE, and thats it.

If it doesn't, then the most painless way is an external USB Caddy -

SCAN IT FOR VIRUSES/SPYWARE BEFORE TRANSFERRING DATA!!!

The drives are clean of any viruses and spyware, malware etc.
The desktop is IDE and the laptop is SATA, I booted from the IDE, I just can't access the SATA drive even though it shows it's working properly. It's not displayed in the "My Computer" section and I can't change anything in the Administrator options. I tried loading the SATA as a master and a slave, wont let me access it as a master and it won't even show up as a slave. Don't know what else to do.

Just buy or borrow one of those External Cases. They're foolproof, hot pluggable, don't need an external PowerSupply....

Basically it'll show up us "F" drive or something, and is just like plugging a thumbdrive in. Will work with any USB2 computer, laptop etc. Just specify it's for a SATA 2.5" drive.

Fragrant Coit said:
Just buy or borrow one of those External Cases. They're foolproof, hot pluggable, don't need an external PowerSupply....

Basically it'll show up us "F" drive or something, and is just like plugging a thumbdrive in. Will work with any USB2 computer, laptop etc. Just specify it's for a SATA 2.5" drive.

I don't know anyone with one and I don't have the spare time or money to order one or wait. I bought the converter because it's "supposed" to be easy. Hooking it up is easy, just getting the damn thing to work is another. I can't take it back because I already opened it. Any other options besides the thumb drive?

Plug it directly in to a PC with native SATA or buy/borrow a PCI SATA card.

Surely someone you know has one? 99.9% of PC's less than 2yrs old will have SATA.

The only thing you'll need to do is make sure that it's set to boot from THEIR hard drive, as the BIOS will pick it up upon Booting & may try and boot from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back