Tri-Booting with Unbuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

swker98

Hi, My question is how can i Tri-boot with Ubuntu, Xp and Vista beta 1, i have xp on Hdd 0 and Vista on Hdd 1 with 4 partitions, Vista, Extra, Unbuntu (20gb) and a swap partition (5gb) now how should i go about installing Unbuntu and configuring it with Winboot

thanks

If it is anything like when I set up tri-boot with Mandriva 06, in the installation it will auto detect previous OS's and set up a new boot menu using the Unbuntu framework and give the tri-boot for the 3 OS's.

gurb works fine, the trick is the order of install
xp then vista then linux (just about any flavor) xp's bootloader gets replaced by vista's and vista's get replaced by linux (grub) most linux installs will see that windows is install and automactically set itself for that. what you will end up with is a linux selection and a windows selection, if you select windows on boot then you will get an xp selection and a vista selection. since you are using beta version it will quit in just a bit, and if you upgrade vista it will wipe out linux bootloader, which means you have to boot the linux install cd but you type "linux restore" instead of allowing it to continue, and when prompted fix bootloader. that will set it back to triple boot. don't just delete vista if you don't want to run it anymore, reset the windows bootloader back to xp, they work in entirely different ways.

Yes, install XP, then Vista (will update the boot environment and should - although I have not tested - add XP to the Vista boot environment. )

Then, follow my instructions here

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic76345.html

...to add Linux to the Vista boot menu. When you install Linux don't write grub to the MBR write it to the bootsector of / and follow the instructions in the link above. Alternatively, install XP, Vista and then Linux (allowing it to write grub into the MBR) and trust that the Linux bootloader does everything you want (what the poster above is suggesting.)

What you are suggesting is 100 PERCENT possible - in the past I've had as many as 12 operating systems installed - just stick at it till it works. Make sure you have all the boot disks, installation CDs, etc that you need in advance, incase your machine becomes unbootable.

Post back here immediately if you have a problem and we can walk through it together.

Doing as I have instructed will result in a Vista Boot loader running in the MBR which can call Grub to boot Linux and from which all three operating systems can be lauched.

If you need more detailed instructions just ask. I am here to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back