Tried To Fix My Probs With Fresh Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright let me start from the beginning. I decided to re-install my OS system due to the problems I was getting from logging on. So I decided to install Windows XP Pro SP2 on my HD. While installing it and copying the files for the WINDOWS folders many files were unable to copy (not sure if thats normal). For instance here are some:

p3.sys
ks.sys
modem.sys
parport.sys
swenums.sys
sonydcam.sys
nic1394.sys
mssmbios.sys
mf.sys
crusoe.sys
amdk6.sys
processr.sys
ndisuio.sys
srv.sys

sqlqp.20.dll
ssdpapi.dll
strmfilt.dll
msyuv.dll
sptq0407.dll
hid.dll
pjlmon.dll

and so on

Once the files were copied and my Windows XP Pro SP2 started to install I sometimes encountered problems trying to copy files from i386. But most importantly in the 'Finalizing Installation' it said it was having problems installing 'System'....yeah that sounds terrible and I just click 'Finish', as I was too far into the installation.

Once my OS installed I rebooted and now when I startup it seems like the computer doesn't even have an OS installed. It'll go through its booting procedures and then just r/s after going black for 15 seconds. So I decided maybe I should re-install again. I go into BIOS again and put the booting order to CD-ROM, Harddrive, then Nvidea Bootage. Now it tries to find the booting file in the CD I just used to install my OS and it says it doesn't exist. I'm seriously perplexed here. I know my HD isn't dead. It says there is a 'Boot Failure', please put your system CD in the CD-ROM then press enter.

After taking out the CD-ROM and restarting the comp I recieve this error:
Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
Could not read from selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.
Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manual for additional information.

The 250GB Western Digital HD was just formatted before I even installed my OS again on it. Any ideas because I am just so confused..thank you.

BTW, typing on my bro's comp so give me some times to respond :)

it sounds to me like you're either having trouble reading the disc, which would be a hardware failure on the part of your dvd drive or cd rom drive.

OR

your hard drive is dead.

OR

your cd is dying.

that's what this says to me. try installing with another hard drive if you have one, and if it works, it's safe to say the hard drive is dead.

and if it doesn't work with the other hard drive in it, then you know it's either the cd or your optical drive.

once you figure out what the problem is, it's pretty easy to figure out what to do.

replace whatever is broken.

from the sound of things, depending on what's broken, the price you'll pay is between 25 and 200 dollars. 25 for a new dvd drive, 50 for a new hard drive, and 200 for a new win XP sp2 disc.

pray its one of the first two seeing as those are the cheapest :)

Well is the CD scratched? If so, then there is your problem.

If not, then check the IDE cable to make sure it is properly seated. If you still have the problem, get Memtest86+ and run that.

ok first of all u change the IDE cable and secondly check your hard disk for bad
sectors, this problem mostly with the hard disk that contains bad sectors,HDD regenerator is a good software for bad sector so just run the software, may be your harddisk contains the bad sector at the begining of the hard disk thirdly
change the ram and check,

I can't run anything because I don't have an OS installed entirely on the HD so would I need to download those progs and try to boot with them or what?

Also my HD is SATA and I checked my IDE connection with the DVD/CD Drive and it seems to be intact.

2 things I see
bad install disc and no drivers for the sata drive
sp2 does not contain all the know sata drivers
if it's a fairly new system
again you must remember after install to re-set the bios back to boot from HHD as 1st drive
another obstacle can be the sata config in bios this has to be enabled
as the priority drive channel

very old optical drives can just stop working for bootable discs
in your case this is last on the list
if you can get the machine to boot again from dvd make sure you have the right sata chipset drivers for the board do F6 and load them

You might also want to check out your ram as file copy problems can also stem from faulty ram. Try running memtest for a few hours (days if possible) & see if you get errors.

Didou said:
You might also want to check out your ram as file copy problems can also stem from faulty ram. Try running memtest for a few hours (days if possible) & see if you get errors.

I'd like to second that
Ram issues can cause this, learnt from experience

Didou said:

kimsland said:
I'd like to second that
Ram issues can cause this, learnt from experience

Wow, suprised nobody suggested that before!

MassiveAttack said:
I can't run anything because I don't have an OS installed entirely on the HD so would I need to download those progs and try to boot with them or what?
Yes. If you would have clicked my link you would have seen I directed you to the bootable cd image download place.

I tried running memtest on my 250gb SATA hdd and it was the same problem with the same message. Then I switched to my old 60GB IDE hdd and it was in the process of booting up, then it stated "Boot media failure, check cable" and it would proceed to exit the booting process.

I was looking for SATA enablers in my BIOS and I couldn't really 100% find them. My CD/DVD ROM is using IDE so I can't just disable it and when it was autodetecting it found my 250GB HD, even though its SATA and not IDE? Hmmm :(

Many motherboards can emulate SATA as IDE so you don't need to supply Windows with drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back