Tried to set up additional hdd, now computer won't turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I just joined. I think I could have done with looking around on this place BEFORE I buggered up my computer an hour ago. Anyway:

I just bought a new computer (specs are in my profile) and I was trying to install the hdd from my old computer onto the new one. I was having trouble getting the computer to recognise the hdd and I was told to go into the BIOS and detect it. I did so, and my computer froze when it was detecting, so I turned it off. I checked the connections again and went to turn my computer on again, only it wouldn't turn on. There is nothing to indicate that it's receiving power at all, no lights, nothing. It's like it's not connected to any power source at all. As far as I can tell all the wires are connected properly. I've tried to turn it on with both hard drives disconnected but that doesn't do anything either. Can anyone enlighten me with some possible solutions?

Thanks for reading.

disconnect power from back of computer then try resetting your bios jumper.. move the jumper to clear cmos then hold power button in the on position for aprox 30-60 seconds.

move jumper back to normal, plug power back in and see what happens

I fairly old pc the PSU may just have gave up the ghost.
if you have a mulitimeter test the psu after normal power on
and or try bypassing the button vary carefully momentarly jumper the contacts check the back of psu make sure switch is in on pos
does the psu fan come on?

Set that drive up on IDE2 by itself...does this make a difference ? ?
Note: If that drive has XP on it it will only boot properly on the machine that XP was installed on. There are workarounds but let's get it to be recognised first.

patio. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back