Trouble installing cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebluemeaner

I just bought a pentium 631 and installed it. But I had a problem, my mother board has these screw holes where the stock cooler gets screwed to and the pentium cooler just didnt fit. I did not try to remove these screw holes for fear of damaging the motherboard. I would like to know if there is a way to remove them since I believe that the stock cooler that came with the motherboard might be less effective than the intel stock cooler. I'll post pictures if necessary, thanks in advance for any replies.

Well, the screw holes are those spiral like metal thingies in which you screw things, it must have a name, I'll post pictures as soon as I get home

They didn't build the motherboard around the heat sink mount pins, so they have to come off.

I believe those are tension screws. Many tension screws expand after they go through the hole in the motherboard, so all you have to do is squeeze the tip closed beneath the motherboard and push the pin back up to the front of the board.

Oh, you will have to take out the motherboard to do this.

Finally installed it

****************UPDATE****************************

well I decided to remove the motherboard since I was tired of this whole deal and guess what, the "screw holes" were actually the device that held the cooler, and it was removable... I changed the thermal paste on the processor installed the new intel cooler. Now im a bit doubtful about my decision since the stock cooler that came with the motherboard was actually cooler master brand p/n: 13g0750711c1h2, and I am not really sure if I made the right decision.. thanks everyone for the replies!

Attachments

• DSC00856.JPG
    DSC00856.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC00857.JPG
    DSC00857.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 5
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back