Trouble installing Win XP on new SATA

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, so I just bought a new WD 250GB SATA HDD. I had to get a PCI/SATA adapter card since my Mobo doesn't have the serial ports on it. I then went to the WD website and created two floppies; 1 for the controller drivers and 1 that was suggested if installing just an SATA from scratch which sets up the HDD to install Windows. First, I boot up with the HDD setup floppy disk. This brings me to a Western Digital menu system and I select to set up the HDD to use. It goes off and does whatever it needs to and is done relatively quickly. I then put the Windows CD in, boot up, it does it's thing for a bit, then comes in to the Windows installation menus. I press F6 when it says to (for RAID/SCSI drivers), but nothing happens. The setup continues until it gets to a screen saying it can't find a hard drive. I put in the drivers floppy, press "S", and it recognizes that the XP drivers are there and it seems to continue successfully. After a minute or so of extracting and installing the basic files, it eventually gets to the actual Windows setup. I press ENTER to start installation, but it says a HDD can't be found, then forces me to exit. I made sure BIOS is updated and have hit a dead end with trying anything. Any thoughts?

Don't go into the setup for RAID/SCSI drivers. You don't have to do raid. I have a RAID compatible motherboard and everything but I don't do it. SO just skip that and go right into installing windows. It should have some option to skip that part. I can't remember what it said though. :D

sam, several of the newer asus mbd don't have to have drivers because of the BIOS but all of the older boards do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back