trouble reformatting PC with windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ishtari

As the title said, I'm trying to reformat my hard drive. My OS is windows XP pro. So I loaded my system disk into my cd-drive and told the computer to boot from CD-ROM. I enter the windows setup and it loads the files it needs. I am then asked if I want to continue setting up windows or if I want to use a recovery utility. I choose continue setting up windows. At this point the setup utility tells me I do not have a hard drive connected or powered on, and to run diagnostic services on the device.

I can still boot into windows, so I don't see how its possible to have a problem with my hard drive. I have run a diag. device on the harddrive and the results turn out fine.

What gives? help would be greatly appreciated.

So have you tried........

Try restarting the computer go into bios boot of the device the the XP cd is in click enter when it says something like click any key to to install windows xp and your good to go

Yes, that is the process I started out with. As soon as I try to start the instal process (right after it loads the pre-instalation files) it tells me that I do not have a hard drive connected to my computer. . .

I have a 3GHZ pentium 4 processor with HT. 800FSB.

I have 2 512MB memory sticks. I believe their speed is at 400MHZ

My harddrive is 160GB, 7.2K RPM, Serial ATA, 8 MB of something. . .

Sound Blaster audigy card. . .

A Hitachi DVD 16X DVD drive

A CDRW 48X32 Samsung drive

A ATI X800 Pro graphics card using 256MB of RAM and ATI express slot. . .

I'm not sure about the motherboard, but the computer is a dell dimension 8400 series, if that helps. . .

Is that what you were looking for?

if this is a dell machine did it come with the Sata hard drive or did you add that yourself?

the hard drive came standard with the computer.

I've never had any trouble with the computer recongnizing the hard drive.

The hard drive is plugged in right and the BIOS does detect it.

I'll mention again that I can still boot from the hard drive without any difficulties.

it is possible that you will have to load the sata drivers during boot up before you can complete the install.

if that is a fairly new delll then it probably doesnt have a floppy drive in it. so the sata drivers should be on the Dell Cd. during boot up you should se a prompt to press F6 to install third party drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back