trouble reinstalling windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

C_Conqueror

Not sure where to put this but trouble reinstalling windows

I wasn't sure where to put this. I am currently trying to reinstall windows xp on my computer but when I try to delete a certain partition it says it can't becuause that particular partition has tempory files that are needed to complete setup. So I have no idea what to do

Try booting from the re-install cd and installing it that way.
Or maybe download and put on a floppy or cd a free hard drive reformatting tool. Try Googling it.
PS. Im not sure if Googling is a word but it should be ;-)
Also a post like this should be under the Microsoft OS forums.

I've had similar issues re-installing XP Pro. Yes, it is a "good" copy, and registerd, and i could not even format the drive and start from scratch. Everytime i would try to unmount the drive or just plain boot from the cd or boot in safe mode, it would still just try to install another copy of xp on the drive.
It almost sounds like you have an unfinished install lingering from a previous attempt.

If you have a reinstall cd and everything you need, there are a couple of hard drive reformatters that are for data erasing so if you're giving your hard drive away you can kill the data so that novices can't steal your important data. Anyway you can find a few free ones and if you leave it on all night or something it erases all data so there won't be any file issues because the drive will be blank.

Its okay now I found out that all I needed to do was repair windows and I was able to do that thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back