Trouble w/ creating an XP Boot Disk...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TotalMojo

Hi,

Ran into some issues this week with my laptop, and am trying to create a boot disk to run a repair (which will/should hopefully eliminate my problem)...

HOWEVER, upon downloading three different Boot-Disk-Creation applications (including the one from microsoft), none of them are actually writing the requisite files to disk. I'm trying to write to CD (as I don't have an actual floppy drive). The application seems to download and run fine, I get the popup prompt asking for the drive letter... then nothing happens.

any help would be most appreciated!

MMDominator88 said:
Do you have any adware/malware problems that you can identify ?

Nope, running Adware and Spybot don't come up with anything. The root of my problem seems to be the missing "C:\$mft" Which reccomended fixes for such involve running chkdsk and/or a repair with said repair/boot disk.

Problem is, that none of the 'Tools' in the C drives properties window will respond at all when I attempt to use them.

I've lost internet capability on my laptop (typing from my wifes iBook now).

Luckily I did have an older version of Hijack on from a few years ago~ (v 1.99.1)

Running brings up an error message~ Error 62, asking me to email merijn@spywareinfo.com... closing the error window allows the scan to run though.

I've attatched the logfile.

CCT~ No I do not have a legitamate disk~ Two year old dell laptop came with the OS preinstalled and no disk.

The thing about your HJT log that could improve is that U should rename the actual application to "Analyze" or sumthing other than hijackthis.exe, mostly because malware programs (some of them) can hide from the HJT program with the default name of hijackthis.exe, so please rename the application and repost a new HJT log file

*EDIT and..........if you have a USB flash stick/drive, you could download the new version of HJT and transfer it over to your laptop that doesn't have internet capability right now and rename the .exe file and repost a new log

*EDIT from an earlier post on your part.......you can run chkdsk from your desktop also !!! just go to start; run; and type in "chkdsk" without the quotes and it will run the chkdsk utility

Running CHKDSK wouldn't work from anywhere. I tried running from the sys32 folder, from CMD, from tools... it kept telling me it was a bad image, and to check against my intallation disk.

HOWEVER, for some reason~ Last night when I booted it up to run another HJT (rennamig it) it ran CHKDSK on it's own, booted straight into it. I've no idea how or why. Three hours later though, it rebooted and now everything seems to be working normally. Better than normal actually.

Still, Here's a a quick HJT~ Incase my new Virus Scan (I just switched from Macaffe to AVG) or Spybot and AdAware miss something...

Thanks for the assistance thus far, despite the miraculous self-healing my laptop has just accomplished (A week later)

Momok or howard, CHECK me on this

DO NOT DO ANY OF THE STEPS LISTED BELOW WITHOUT CONFIRMATION FROM ONE OF THE REALLY SMART PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM (I am just starting to learn about all these things)

In HJT, put a checkmark beside these entries

O2 - BHO: CBHOBJObj Object - {8A406068-D45C-40B9-A096-38AC717FB608} - C:\WINDOWS\BHOBJ.dll (file missing)

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)

O9 - Extra button: MUSICMATCH MX Web Player - {d81ca86b-ef63-42af-bee3-4502d9a03c2d} - http://wwws.musicmatch.com/mmz/openWebRadio.html (file missing)

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)

O23 - Service: McAfee WSC Integration (McDetect.exe) - Unknown owner - c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (McTskshd.exe) - Unknown owner - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - Unknown owner - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe (file missing)

Hi,

You'll have to fix these entries:

O2 - BHO: CBHOBJObj Object - {8A406068-D45C-40B9-A096-38AC717FB608} - C:\WINDOWS\BHOBJ.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: MUSICMATCH MX Web Player - {d81ca86b-ef63-42af-bee3-4502d9a03c2d} - http://wwws.musicmatch.com/mmz/openWebRadio.html (file missing)

Please note: Do not fix the remaining files in the list MMDominator provided. They are actually a bug in HijackThis which causes certain legit files to appear missing.

Still, Here's a a quick HJT~ Incase my new Virus Scan (I just switched from Macaffe to AVG) or Spybot and AdAware miss something...
I noted that you have switched your Antivirus. However you have not completely uninstalled McAfee, and it continues to run on your system. Thus you have two antivirus running simultaneously on your system which is not recommended as it may cause serious conflicts.

Please uninstall the undesired software through "Add and Remove Programs" in Control Panel.

Apart from that, yur HijackThis log appears clean. If you would like a more thorough check on your system to ascertain if any malware has infected your system, please visit Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions and follow the steps given.

Thereafter, please post fresh HijackThis, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

TotalMojo: You`re running an outdated version of HJT and you haven`t renamed it. See this thread HERE and post a fresh HJT log.

These are the entries you should fix and nothing more.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how HERE.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE.

Open your task manager, by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key.

Click on the processes tab and end process for(if there).

PowerReg Scheduler V3.exe

Close task manager.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler V3.exe

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).

PowerReg Scheduler V3.exe<Search your system for this file and delete all instances found.

Reboot into normal mode and rehide your protected OS files.

Post a fresh HJT log.

Regards Howard :)

Wow...

Lots of stuff to address it looks like. I'll print that list and the instructions/notes off in the morning at work and work on it tomorrow afternoon when I get home.

As for Macaffee... I had already uninstalled it precisely as indicated (Through add/remove).

No Mcafee files populate on a Search. Following the path manually as listed in the entries noted below leads nowhere... So I'm not sure how, where, or why these files are here and/or active (None are listed in my task manager as being active either...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back