Trouble With Clean Installation Of Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to everyone, as this is my first post.

I just completed building my first computer and I am having a problem installing Vista on it. Here are my computer specs:

Intel Dual Core 2 2.4GHz
ASUS P5B-E Mobo
2 x 1G DDR2 667
Seagate 7200.9 80G SATA2 HDD (Master)
Seagate 7200.10 320G SATA2 HDD (Slave)
ASUS EAX1950 Pro Video Card

I turned it on and everything worked ok - everything in BIOS seems okay and everything is there. So I began installing an OEM version of Home Premium Vista. After successfully inputing the product key, it asks to chose from the list of hard drives where to install Vista. It displays both hard drives correctly, but when I select the 80G drive, it says "This computers hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk controller is enabled in the computers BIOS menu". I get the same message when selecting the other drive. One option is to load a driver for the hard drive, and I have it search the Vista CD but it finds nothing (Seagates website says any generic driver should work). I went back to the BIOS and couldn't find a setting for the disk controller, but anything related like that is set to enabled. I've done a lot of searching but haven't found the answer. Any help will be much appreciated.

S

The driver you want will be that supplied by the motherboard manufacturer - it will be the SATA driver. It needs to be installed before you install Vista, and so the Vista install should give you an opportunity to do so.

If this really is a driver issue, after the product key, select 'custom installation', choose where you want to install it and 'load driver'. You should have your SATA/RAID driver copied to a USB drive.

Thanks for some insight. Having an updated driver seems to make sense. So I went to Seagate's website to get the latest driver for my hard drive, and in the download section for drivers it has a note that essentially says we don't have drivers, as any generic driver should work for our hard drives. This would lead me to believe the Vista DVD should have a generic driver to use, but maybe not (I told it to search the Vista disk for a driver but it found none). Any idea how I get a driver for my hard drive that will then allow Vista to install itself on it? I updated my mobo BIOS with a jump drive so that should work.

As Rick said it's a SATA controller driver that you need, not a hard-drive driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back