Trouble with installing winXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

etherga

Workin on a friend's comp. attempting clean install of winxp after his sys stop responding completely. Itll get so far in the installation and give a "Bad_Pool_Caller 0xC2" error. i did some researching and this is common with some type video card problem. He has, however, no vid card, just onboard graphics processor. It wont boot to windows whatsoever since its not completely installed. I'm really early in troubleshooting stages here, just thought i'd see if anyone had similar experiences and could possibly lead me in the right direction.

what caused you to need to reinstall o/s?

What hardware is attached when you are running the clean install.

Did you delete the current partition.. re-create and format a new partition...

from what i have pulled from M$ this is "The Stop 0xC2 error message indicates that a kernel-mode process or driver incorrectly tried to perform a memory operation. Typically, faulty device drivers or device software cause this error message." directly from their site....

Well i just got his box today. He said he tried reinstalling windows because it would hang-up at desktop. So it wasnt really my doing. The only attached hardware he's got is a modem card. Everythingt else is onboard. As far as if he erased the partition and recreated, i dont know. It isnt even giving me that option. It just tries to resume the installation from where it keeps getting the error. It happens when installing drivers if i remember correctly. So i'm not sure where to begin on this one.

Note: Runninng hardware tests to make sure this isnt a problem with some data cache or something.

I would start by wiping the box and starting from scratch..

is this a OEM computer? or do you have the actual cd's..

If you have the xp cd. boot to the cd and when given to repair or install choose fresh install..

it will ask to select the drive in a list and press some button to continue..

you should have the option to delete the partion there and create a new one..

That is the way i would go... of course your buddy may not like it.. all data will of course be gone...

this is a dell box. Problem is, it doesnt even give me the option to start from scratch ya know. It just resumes the previous installation. I havent found a way to boot to command prompt so i could just format from there. I've got his original OS CD. That's what i've been workin with.
Any ideas on getting to command prompt?

Short of having a floppy bootdisk nope.

you could of course download one from bootdisk.com...

i hate those dells and the way thier software works..

yea this isnt my first experience working on one, and its always been a pain. I'd have to say Gateway has been by far the best OEM to work on for me.

For me the Best OEM to work on is HP.. but i have about 4 years working at HP in their tech suppport, quality department and resource tech team... and funny thing... i think i am biased against hp though.... I dont like many OEM systems at all.. but what can we do gotta work with what ya got.

I'm thinking about hooking his HD up to my comp and formatting it that way, just setting it as a slave so itll not try to do anything. But i'm not sure that itll solve the issue with the installation failure of windows. It gets to the point in the installation where its "installing devices" and then bluescreens with the previous error.

Here's the Full tech info of the error:
BAD_POOL_CALLER

*** STOP: 0x000000c2 (0x0000007, 0x00000cd4, 0x00340045, 0xe25c96dc)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

Found a possible resolution to this one.. that is if you can get ahold of an xp boot disk.....

here are the instructions..

go to recovery console, if you can.
If not try getting a boot disk that supports NTFS.. bootdisk.com should have one.

2. Delete the Winnov32.sys, Wnvkaud.sys, Wnvcom.sys, and Wnkvid.sys files in the %Windir%\System32\Drivers folder.
3. Restart the computer from the hard disk.
4. Click Continue Windows XP Setup.

How are you attempting the installation?

Are you booting the OS installation cd? When you turn the computer off and then on again what happens? Can you get into bios? More details

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back