Trouble With Video Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

lastcrime

alright ive tried a couple graphics cards and ive came to the conclusion its not the card that doesn't work lol.. the first one i tried that i later returned was an asus geforce 6200 agp video card and now ive got an ati raedon 9250 agp video card. Both did the same thing when i put them in when i start up my computer theres two lights a red one and a green one, usually the red and green lights both go on then the red one goes off as the computer starts up. But with the video cards in the red light stays on with no green light, my monitors don't work so i cant see anything, my mouse and keyboard dont work, and the computer doesn't start up.. im stuck, im thinking it has something to do with the power but im not sure any ideas?

Sounds like maybe your motherboard died, possibly during installation. However i'm also confused by what you mean by a green light and a red light.
Do you mean the lights on your moniter or on the front of your case?

i mean on the front of the case, also i dont think my motherboard died as when i take out the graphics card my computer runs fine im on it right now.

Did you disable the built-in video card in the BIOS? You should do that first to keep from confusing your motherboard and operating system.

Cinders said:
Did you disable the built-in video card in the BIOS? You should do that first to keep from confusing your motherboard and operating system.

ok this may help but do i do this before i put the video card in?

and if so could you explain how?

o yeah and i guess this brings out the question of using the onboard graphics as well as the video card to have dual monitors instead of using the dvi - vga connector on the dvi output.

Thx Cinders totally spaced that off... Yea you need to disable the onboard graphics on the motherboard. Heres what you do,

1. Go into bios with the onboard video and turn off onboard video and select exit and save changes or what ever.

2. Turn off your computer and install the video card and turn it on.

*optional* 3. If your computer hangs again just reset the bios on the motherboard to bring back onboard video, (MAKE SURE YOU UNPLUG THE POWER CORD FIRST)

this is what ive done so far, i unistalled the driver for the onboard graphics,
i went into to bios went into pci, plug and play media and set Allocate IRQ for PCI VGA to no, now i saved the settings, once i do this my computer starts up and seems to be normal it loads and goes to the user screen :confused: am i doing something wrong?

i shut it down go to put in the graphics card then turn the power on and it doesn't work and the red light stays on again.

Also, i just noticed that when the video card is in and i turn off the power then put the power back in it starts up automatically then goes into the red light thing,

when the video card isn't in and i take the power out then put it back in i have to push the power button to start up the computer, i dono if this helps i just thought it was weird?

these are my specs if it helps:

motherboard: ECS PV4MM2
Graphics Interface: AGP 4x 2.0
CPU- Intel Pentium 4
CPU Speed- 1.7ghz
watt output/amperage- 12v/12a

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back