Troublshooting Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcinfoman

I have having major wierdness on my computer. It is running an AMD 3200 chip with 1GB memory, 3 IDE hard drives, 1 IDE DVD Burner and 1 Sata 1 hard drive (which the machine boots from). I am not sure of all the hardware models of the individual equipment.

The problem is this. I just installed Windows XP again after formating my Sata drive and it seemed to go just fine. I had the machine up and running for hours last night with no problems. I shut down the machine and then boot it this morning and it boots fine. However, after about a minute of running it just TURNS OFF. No errors, no nothing. Now nothing I do will turn it back on. After about 5 minutes, it turns itself back on and repeats the problem again and again and again.

The only hardware change I have is a Sata 2 controller card I added about 2 weeks ago. I have not plugged in the Sata 2 drive yet. Have not had any problems so far with the controller card being in there. This does not appear to me to be a software problem, it seems more like a possible power supply problem.

I know my handle here is "pcinfoman", but I am genuinally stuck here.

Ideas?

pcinfoman said:
psu? What is a psu?

PSU=Power supply unit.

I agree with you and rik, it may be a psu problem. the only way to tell for sure is to try another psu and see if that solves your problem.

It might also be a good idea to remove the Sata 2 controller card, just to rule it out as a possible cause.

Regards Howard :)

OK, I have bought a new psu. When I get home tonight, I will remove the sata 2 card and try the machine without the new psu. If that solves the problem, I will return the psu. If not, I will install it. thanks for the help guys.

Well, that was the problem. I bought a 500W psu and then went home. I pulled the sata 2 card and had the same problem. I then installed the psu and all is good with the world again.

I don't get it, I can wave my hand over a computer and suddenly it works, yet with my own computer, I am totally lost. As if I suddenly developed Alzheimer's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back