Trying to get rid of vtuvtu.dll

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer has a firewall, symnatec and spyware doctor but this nasty little critter got past my computer's defenses somehow and I can't get rid of it. Symnatec alerted me to it as a trojan.vundo but after reading on the internet other posts, I have been eyeing vtuvtu.dll in windows\system32 as being the culprit. An online spyware scanner identified it as SpywareQuake. I have downloaded VundoFix, VirtumundoBeGone, and FixVundo......none of which worked. I read a log where someone used the XP Setup CD to boot into the recovery console and delete the little monster (vtuvtu.dll) after using a program Unlocker to analyze it.

I know very little about computers, but with great patience, can follow instructions.......HELP!

I want to get rid of this nasty little thing..... Do I send logs? I have HiJackThis but need instructions how to proceed in creating these logs.
Any help is appreciated.

I already downloaded it. But it will not get rid of the vtuvtu.dll or I am not acquainted as how to use it to do that. Right now I have an even bigger problem. My computer stopped working all together. I can't even get to the Bios......it just starts up and sits there....... saying press F10 for Boot Menu or F2 for settings...... but will not respond to either. I am dead in the water and don't know what to do. Frustration level is high and I am fantasizing about a session with me, the computer and a sledge hammer. What do I do now??????

Oh, also ......in the session before the computer died out, I did figure out how to use HiJackThis to generate an HTL log......vtuvtu.dll was listed as a BHO of unknown origin. There was also another unknown BHO listed as well.

(Moderator edit: Posts merged. Please use the edit button, rather than replying to your previous post where there are no other replies in between. If bumping the thread, please wait at least 24 hours for a reply.)

Hi greenhorn and welcome to techspot. =)

I suggest you do the following before doing anything else

Important: Please read this thread HERE before deciding if you should CLEAN or FORMAT your system

Should you decide to that cleaning your system is the best option, please go to Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions and follow the steps given.
Do follow all the instructions exactly.

Thereafter, please post fresh HijackThis, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread.
Do not copy and paste your logs if not they will be removed.

Our experts here will tend to your queries thereafter.

Also, please provide the results of the Antirootkit scan

Regards,
momok =)

This thread is for the use of greenhorn only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our Security and The Web forum.

I would be happy to do what you are suggesting. The computer, however, is not booting at this time and I don't have a boot disk. Any suggestions on how to proceed? I read about the Ultimate Boot Disc for Windows XP but when reading their instructions, became confused with all the complicated procedures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back