Trying to replace case fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevincai96

HI, I'm a newbie, but something is weird. I want to replace an old case fan, but it doesn't have any screws. Instead, it has little round black things that stick out on the other end of the case. On my next post, I'll include a picture. Help!

yeah you need some plyers I believe, serves the same purpose as screws, If I'm right they are a hard plastic. you should be abel to use the plyers to remove it by squeezing them

Re:pliers

I'll try that, but I don't think it will work because the black plastic is short. I promise I'll have a picture by today.

Hi, welcome to TechSpot! :wave:

Please be sure to read the guide in my signature and to search Google and the TS forums before posting any questions. Enjoy your stay at TS!

Regards :)

Yeap, use pliers to remove them. New fans should come with screws, so you can use those if the mounting holes are large enough. If not, just reuse the black plastic bits.

If you can't get a good hold of the black plastic bits with needlenose pliers, a good alternative is just use your fingernails to pinch them. Helps if you let your fingernails grow out a little. :D:D If you do let them grow and pich them, don't expect a perfect manicure later.

If you just can't remove them either way, you can always just cut them off, and enlarge the mounting holes later (drills are usefull for that). Haven't seen cases where the mounting hole's not large enough.

Just thought that you might have a design I used to have on an old case. If its like what I think it is, all you need is to reach inside the case, and there should be another black piece of plastic on the other side of the case, on the fan (in the middle of the fan, near the mounting hole. NOT the motor). Just pull on that, and it should come straight out. Remove all 4, and you've got your fan out.

They replaced those with screws because its alot easier to install and remove. I'd suggest you do the same. :D

Solution

Hi, all your methods did not work with squeezing. I stuck pliers in between the case and fan, and-POP!-the fan came off. Still, thanks, everyone for your help.

lol.

Brute force works with alot of things, doesn't it? I've brute forced removed countless heatsinks off chips (the latest being the NB heatsink from my new m/b). I don't recommend it ever though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back