Turn PC into handsfree mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

taffia77

Is it possible to do this? Basically, I want to use the my bluetooth capabilities so that my computer becomes handsfree - much like in a car.
I'm wondering if I need software to do this - I suppose I want my computer to become a headset??? Although, I want to use the speakers and mic I have connected to my PC, as opposed to a headset.

Can anyone help/advise please?

I havn't tried it myself since the only phone in the house that has bluetooth is with my sister at this current moment, and she's gone for a few weeks.. but the theory is there provided you have the neccesary hardware (bluetooth dongle or hub etc), and it probably is capable to do so since i was digging through the bluetooth dongle settings and it had "Headset" properties there..

Although it has to work both ways.. your phone'e bluetooth must be able to use that service with the PC..

N3051M said:
I havn't tried it myself since the only phone in the house that has bluetooth is with my sister at this current moment, and she's gone for a few weeks.. but the theory is there provided you have the neccesary hardware (bluetooth dongle or hub etc), and it probably is capable to do so since i was digging through the bluetooth dongle settings and it had "Headset" properties there..

Although it has to work both ways.. your phone'e bluetooth must be able to use that service with the PC..

Not in a position to try it myself at the moment either, but when I get home I will. You reckon I don't need any third party software then? My phone is certainly capable and I've got a bluetooth dongle for the PC

What do you mean by "handsfree mobile"?

You want to use the mic and speakers of your PC to speak through your mobile phone? Yes, the headset feature is in the Widcomm bluetooth stack at least.

Do you want to dial calls with your PC? Send SMS messages? You need special software for this.

Nodsu said:
What do you mean by "handsfree mobile"?

You want to use the mic and speakers of your PC to speak through your mobile phone? Yes, the headset feature is in the Widcomm bluetooth stack at least.

Do you want to dial calls with your PC? Send SMS messages? You need special software for this.

No, you got it right the first time, just want to use the mic and speakers of PC to talk through mobile. I've got Bluesoleil software installed for my dongle.

i believe this should come with the cd when you get your new phone out of the box... but the handsfree thing should be already there with your dongle, even with window's generic drivers..

taffia77 said:
Not in a position to try it myself at the moment either, but when I get home I will. You reckon I don't need any third party software then? My phone is certainly capable and I've got a bluetooth dongle for the PC

Tried all manner of things last night, and it just wouldn't happen. My bluesoliel software doesn't seem to have any kind of option to do it, and I tried using the communication centre software that came with the phone, but to no avail.
I don't think I'm asking for the world here! I mean the technology is there as it's used in cars. Am I a just a weirdo for wanting to use my computer to speak on the phone???

Whch Bluetooth stack are you using? The Microsoft one that comes with XP is very primitive. And it gets installed by default I believe.

Disable the "Bluetooth Support Service". This exact wording.

In Device Manager, under Bluetooth Devices, see the properties of your BT controller. See who is the driver provider.

If it is Microsoft, then you have to replace this (sucky) driver with something better.. Choose to upgrade the driver, choose the advanced mode and see if you can browse to some drivers on the CD that came with your dongle.

Nodsu said:
Whch Bluetooth stack are you using? The Microsoft one that comes with XP is very primitive. And it gets installed by default I believe.

Disable the "Bluetooth Support Service". This exact wording.

In Device Manager, under Bluetooth Devices, see the properties of your BT controller. See who is the driver provider.

If it is Microsoft, then you have to replace this (sucky) driver with something better.. Choose to upgrade the driver, choose the advanced mode and see if you can browse to some drivers on the CD that came with your dongle.

No mate, I'm using the IVT Corporation Bluesoliel one. Got all the latest drivers etc but still not able to achieve this. Primarily, I think, because Bluesoliel LOOKS for services, but doesn't provide them. I've thought about this and I need to make the phone detect the "handsfree kit", so somehow I need to make the computer think it's a handsfree kit.

alright... did a bit of fiddling around with my sis' phone and this is what i did..

[Phone] turned on bluetooth
[PC] Bluetooth on, My Bluetooth Places>Search for Devices in range
[PC] Double clicked on HS Voice Gateway on K600i
[Phone] Came up with a setup thing, Ok, Ok, etc..

That was on a Sony Ericsson K600i.. If it doesn't come up in the search devices in range, try searching while the phone's looking for a headset device maybe? (its a bit weird) I haven't gone digging around to see if i can talk back through the PC cause i don't have a mic setup yet but i could hear it talk from the phone..

Gonna see if it works on my mum's Nokia later when she gets home...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back