Tv cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonnym

Im looking to get a TV card for my PC so i can get rid of the TV on my desk and use my monitor instead i was wondering if any of you have some suggestions about what to buy? I was lookin at a few the othereday and i would like one that you can pause tv n all that crap with but the one i found was for XP Media Edition so dyu think its worth swopping to media edition? what are the differences between xp and media edition and also what kind of price am i looking at to get what i want? i have no idea what i am looking for you see so i dont know whats good and whats bad

cheers dudes

Pretty much all of them will show you a picture and have the basic freeze, PIP, etc features.

You may want to think about features like digital support (DVB-T, if applicable in your area), hardware video encoding, remote. A USB device would allow you to use it on any computer, not just the PC you put it in.

Like Nodsu says, pay attention to features like digital and hi-def if your cable source is that.

As for XP Media Center, its basically XP Home with a really good software interface with TV. I use it on a computer connected to a tv as a dedicated PVR. With a remote I don't ever have to touch the keyboard or the mouse to do whatever I want with tv.

I dont get what your going on about with the cable thing tho? If i get a pcie one or pci or wotever isnt it just a matter of plugging it an wacking an aerial in the back installing the software and away you go?

Im in the UK by the way

I had assumed you'd be hooking up cable television to it, but if you are just going over the air that doesn't change much, you still need to decide if you need an HD tuner.

say i bought a free view box would i need to hook the freeview box up to the tv card? i mite as weell get a HD one thats the way things are going and i can run niormal telly through it right?

Only problem is i dont have a hardwired aierial (cant spell) in my room only one of those things thats like a coat hanger lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back