Two beeps, then nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbnine

Hi. I have a Dell Dimension 5150C with 1GB ram and running Windows XP.
My problem is that when I turn it on, I hear two short beeps and then message:
Drive 0 not found Serial ATA, SATA-0
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility

Nothing happens when I hit F1, or F2 (Setup), or F12 (Boot Menu), or F8

Hoping someone can help me, thanks.

Are you comfortable in removing the computer cover (on that small PC)
If so read on. It is also advisable to read your computer manual first.

1. Remove power
2. Hold in power button to disperse all voltage
3. Remove cover (on this PC, I have no idea !)
4. Disconnect Hard Drive sata cable from Motherboard and to the drive itself
5. Reconnect Hard Drive sata cable to Motherboard and to the drive itself
6. Confirm Hard Drive power cable secured
7. Refit cover
8. Plug in main power
9. Turn on
10. Reply back !

You may have two problems here - 1st the system is not finding the hard drive so won't go any further with the boot process and 2nd your keyboard may not be working properly. Odd that both occurred together but stranger things have happened.
I would see if you can borrow another keyboard to check this and also take the lid off and make sure the SATA cables and power supply for the drive are connected properly.

gbnine said:
Nothing happens when I hit F1, or F2 (Setup), or F12 (Boot Menu), or F8.

Because of the delay in the system trying to load the Hard Drive

I believe eventually F2 will work

Or it could be that
1 - the CMOS battery has died and the motherboard has forgotten about USB settings
2 - the motherboard has died
3 - the drive has died and disconnecting it will allow access to the BIOS
4 - bad memory; have seen all sorts of weird happenings because of this.

Thank you for you replies. I will try the suggestions and get back to you later today. Thanks again.

Hi. I’ve tried the ideas previously suggested by kimsland with a different outcome!
There are still two beeps, but the message now says, Floppy diskette seek failure –
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility.
By the way, there isn’t a floppy drive connected to the machine.
Am I correct in saying that if I remove the hard drive, I can then access the setup as indicated by AlbertLionheart?

I can now get into Setup! Is there something I can do from there?

Thank you.

In Stup (bios) can you seeyour Hard Drive listed?
Also please confirm boot sequence set to Cdrom then HDD

In the bios, under Drives, is the following list.
*Diskette Drive
*Drive 0: SATA-0
*Drive 1: PATA-0
*SATA Operation
The drives are each set to their defaut settings.
The boot sequence is set to cdrom then hdd

I have such problem with an IBM 6578LBG with a BIOS version PIKT16AUS and it was in german language. What I did was tried to upgrade the BIOS to PIKT37A and it was not upgrading. After the download and went to the dos command prompt and located the quickflashbio executable file. I ran it and used the client to configure it instead of the admin. and it upgraded and everything just went on fine. The motherboard was brought to me by a friend who couldn't find any solution to such beeps, floppy diskkette seek failurre and F1 Key not responding.

ALL 4 NAIJA

Make sure your cables are in the proper positions before you proceed with aforesaid or else it going to tell of any error.

ALL 4 NAIJA

Patrickja2007 instead of replying to your own post, please use the "Edit" option.
The message is still delivered, and the board here prefers the edit on consecutive posts.

Thank you for your input, Patrick. Here's an update.
Things actually seem to be improving. (I think.) I can get as far as the log in screen in Windows now but then after about 5 seconds, I get a blue screen. The only information
that I see which might be of any use is
REGISTRY_ERROR
and this error code
0x00000051, 0x00000004, 0x00000001, 0XE25FFBD8, 0x00492CF0
although that code has changed since I restarted the computer.
I can also boot to my Windows XP disk but when I try to do a repair, it only goes so far and then comes up with a message saying, Type exit to restart. When I do this, it boots to the XP disk again and I get the option to repair or reinstall. I don’t want to reinstall because I’m afraid of losing a lot of music files and photo’s.
If I take the disk out and restart, I get to the Login screen but then the BSOD.

gbnine said:
Thank you for your input, Patrick. Here's an update.
Things actually seem to be improving. (I think.) I can get as far as the log in screen in Windows now but then after about 5 seconds, I get a blue screen. The only information
that I see which might be of any use is
REGISTRY_ERROR
and this error code
0x00000051, 0x00000004, 0x00000001, 0XE25FFBD8, 0x00492CF0
although that code has changed since I restarted the computer.
I can also boot to my Windows XP disk but when I try to do a repair, it only goes so far and then comes up with a message saying, Type exit to restart. When I do this, it boots to the XP disk again and I get the option to repair or reinstall. I don’t want to reinstall because I’m afraid of losing a lot of music files and photo’s.
If I take the disk out and restart, I get to the Login screen but then the BSOD.
Yes! Do a BIOS update. It will work! And, don't forget to check your setup to configure it properly.Blue Screen Of Death shouldn't be your fear now.

Now Patrickja2007 I'm not picking on you, just helping for the future

Do not quote the exact preceeding post, as your reply is already in regards to this.

Another board request (there are a few !)

OK, but can you please explain to me how I do a bios update if I can't get into Windows or the Internet on that computer?
Thank you.

But you haven't told me your system type. Anyway,first of all you have to know your BIOS maker and the type. You can do this through many way like:
1. By simply type click-->start-->run-->type "dxdiag "-->ok .Check the pop-up like box you will see you BIOs type there

2.or simply use AIDA32 utility download from www.sofotex.com/AIDA32-download_L9326.html and run it to check for your BIOS type and subsequences.

3. you can as well do that at the command prompt by typing "systeminfo" at the dot or dos prompt.

The after knowing your BIOS type and maker you can go to the website and download the BIOS update compactible with yours and follow the instruction cos BIOS makers have different way of doing them.

You will find out immediately the effect if your BIOS is updated and proceed with the necessary configuration at the setup!

Good luck!

ALL 4 NAIJA

Re: error code 0x00000051

Microsoft's Windows XP Professional Repair Install step by step

Microsoft's Windows XP Home Repair Install step by step

System Restore Xp

May be the best advice

But if this is a hardware issue (namely your Hard Drive or 2nd option Ram) then Repairing windows will be a waste of time.
In that case you can go to your Hard Drive's manufactures websilte (you will need to view the Hard Drive label) and download their Disk check tool.

Edit: Patrickja2007 confirm slow server

Thank you, Patrick. At the moment I'm running a diagnostics test which I found on the setup screen which tests everything in the computer and it's taking rather a long time.
Going back to your suggestion about a bios update, again, I repeat, how to I do that if I can't access the Internet?
I'm using my other computer to access the TechSpot Forums.

Just download the bios update to your working computer, and put it on a bootCD ) or floppy if floppy works

But I do not recommend this

The Repair option (and hard drive test) is better

You can save it to a diskette cos most BIOS makers have a BIOS update for download for floppy disk, USB, DVD as well as for CD and can be ran from your A , USB, D and E drives.

Don't forget to print the instruction that goes with it and have it handy for step by step execution.

OK, thank you all so much for your help. I'll download the bios update and then run it on the problem PC.
It's still running the diagnostics test at the moment. I'll keep you posted if the problem is finally solved. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back