Two different Corsair???? WOA

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul05

When I check on newegg today, under the pc memory section I take an advance search and search my way through Corsair, then I saw Corsair XMS and Corsair Memory. That confused me, isn't both of them the same brand? is the XMS better than the other one???
Just a quick question... Did someone know about this?!?!

yeah the XMS is designed more for gaming and OCing. I have a question of my own however, would two 512mb sticks of corsair XMS(twinx) be just as effective as a 1 gig stick of corsair xms?

kholdstare121 said:
would two 512mb sticks of corsair XMS(twinx) be just as effective as a 1 gig stick of corsair xms?

Depends on your motherboard. Does it support dual channel ram configs? If so, then two sticks of 512mb would be a HUGE performance advantage over 1 stick of 1Gb.

And by the way, there is really no noticable difference between regular corsair ram and the XMS ram unless you plan on overclocking.

The regular corsair ram is very high quality, and quite a bit cheaper than the XMS so unless you plan to OC, save yourself the cash and stick with the regular lineup.

DonNagual said:
Depends on your motherboard. Does it support dual channel ram configs? If so, then two sticks of 512mb would be a HUGE performance advantage over 1 stick of 1Gb.
Dual channel ram configs??? Is that the same as DDR? Or if not, how do I check for that(can't find anything on that in the manual)?
*EDIT*
I see stuff about certain memory configurations, and two out of 3 of the slots on my mobo are the same color, so do I put both ram sticks in the same colored slots so I can run in dual channel?(the manual says stuff about double side and single side dimm configs, but i don't understand)

Dual channel refers to something different from DDR. Either your motherboard supports dual channel, or it doesn't.

I guess the easiest way to confirm would be to post your motherboard's make/model number and I/we can confirm for you.

My mobo is a ASUS K8V SE Deluxe. The chipset is via K8T800. Socket 754 athlon 64(3200+), 3 dimm slots, 5 pci slots, agp slot.

oh i see, last thing i have on mind is that is it ok to mixed my Corsair memory1GB(2X512mb) with the Corsair XMS 2GB(2X1GB) Dual Channel??
If so then I think I'm going to buy myself one ^_^

kholdstare121 said:
My mobo is a ASUS K8V SE Deluxe. The chipset is via K8T800. Socket 754 athlon 64(3200+), 3 dimm slots, 5 pci slots, agp slot.

Nope. Your board does not support dual channel ram configs. The difference between one stick of 1Gb and two sticks of 512mb will be minimal.

paul05 said:
oh i see, last thing i have on mind is that is it ok to mixed my Corsair memory1GB(2X512mb) with the Corsair XMS 2GB(2X1GB) Dual Channel??
If so then I think I'm going to buy myself one ^_^

You'll want to do some more research before doing that. It'll depend on your motherboard and on your CPU revision. Most of the time if you stick 4 sticks of ram into your motherboard, you get bumped down to 2T ram timings. Not to mention that there is a chance that you wouldn't run in dual channel mode since your two matched pairs are of different sizes.

Then an even worse case scenario is if your CPU is pre-revE, your ram will actually get downclocked to 333Mhz when you pop that 4th stick in.

But in all honesty, I personally would go for 2 sticks of 1Gb max in dual channel mode. You don't need more than that (for gaming/everyday use). Are you into video editing or something where you NEED that much ram?

DonNagual said:
Nope. Your board does not support dual channel ram configs. The difference between one stick of 1Gb and two sticks of 512mb will be minimal.
Ah, where'd you go/how did you find this out? I didn't even know and I own the manual and box and everything hehe. :knock:

Actually, it officially is the CPU that ultimately determines whether or not you have dual channel. You said your motherboard is socket 754. From that I know you don't have dual channel. For Athlon, only the 939 socket CPUs have the dual channel support in their memory controllers.

No worries! 754 is not a bad socket at all. Heck, next year all the 939 people will be choked that they can't use DDR2 like the newer sockets will allow, and so on... and so on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back