1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Two Hong Kong Apple store staff taken to hospital after iPhone battery starts emitting...

By midian182 ยท 6 replies
Feb 2, 2018
Post New Reply
  1. Now that it’s taken over from Samsung at the top of the smartphone market, Apple probably hopes that the focus has shifted away from its battery problems. Unfortunately for the Cupertino company, reports have arrived of another battery fire in one of its stores.

    According to the South China Morning Post, emergency services were sent to an Apple store at the International Finance Centre mall in Hong Kong following reports of a phone battery that started emitting smoke.

    While staff managed to extinguish the source of the smoke before emergency personnel arrived, two of the store’s employees were taken to hospital for smoke inhalation. No evacuation was needed in this instance.

    “The two staff members were repairing the phone battery at the time it emitted smoke. The pair complained of feeling unwell after inhaling smoke,” a police spokeswoman said.

    Police added they were still looking into the case, but the initial investigation had found nothing suspicious. Authorities are also trying to find out if the battery was part of Apple’s discounted replacement program, which was made available to owners of the iPhone 6 and newer handsets following the performance throttling controversy.

    At the start of January, an overheating iPhone 6s Plus battery started emitting smoke at a store in Zurich, Switzerland. One staff member suffered minor burns, six people received medical care at the site, and the store was evacuated, but there were no serious injuries and nobody required a hospital visit.

    Permalink to story.

     
  2. VitalyT

    VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 4,034   +2,429

    Were they smoking the battery?
     
  3. mailpup

    mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 7,254   +539

    Maybe biting it to test it.
     
    Kenrick likes this.
  4. OneSpeed

    OneSpeed TS Evangelist Posts: 306   +123

    You know, as a Samsung user (not Note), I heard all the jokes about the Samsung line of phones. Samsung did the right thing by recalling all their notes, but do you think Apple will ever do that? profits over safety I guess.
     
  5. Kenrick

    Kenrick TS Evangelist Posts: 629   +403

    You need to go back to school to read without relying too much to the title. In paragraph 4, 1st line: "The two staff members were repairing the phone battery". If youve been around slim batteries, poking it the wrong way will surely give you a free hospital pass. Your statement "profits over safety" is irrelevant.
     
  6. captaincranky

    captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 13,848   +3,251

    Gee, so a**hole and a**istant broke open a battery, and got sent to the hospital. Thus, along with a few hours pay for doing nothing, they granted themselves, "cause of action", for a potential lawsuit..

    Guys, the battery is a diversion, it's the two crApple employees who are smoking something.
     
  7. senketsu

    senketsu TS Guru Posts: 710   +480

    But I thought only geniuses worked at Apple
     

Similar Topics

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...