Two router problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guy's/grils

I have a broadband conneection with a router attached, on this router there are two pc's and another router...on the last router there are also two pc connected.

The problem is that a pc attached to the first router can't see or connect a pc connected to the last router. They can comunicate to each other ehen tey're on the same router.

Still following me? :)

Can anyone tell me how to solve this?

The first router is a hawking, and the seccond a linksys wireless router.

Thanks in advance!!!
Rick

I think you gotta make the wirless a gateway not dhcp
may need to make the default ip a highr num.
wan address would be address of the main router
this is a guess I use switchs for added pc's
in a way thats what your makin the wirelss act like
linksys has great info on there website for all that stuff

oh this is fun. modem-->router-1-->router-2
for this to work,
1) ALL addresses need to be in the same SUBNET,
...eg 192.168.0.*
...let router-1 serve 192.168.0.1 thru 192.168.0.127
...and let router-2 use 192.168.0.128 thru 192.168.0.254
2) all systems/routers using the same mask 255.255.255.0
3) and force the gateway address to the router-1
LAN side address 192.168.0.1

ping by address will be indicative of success
All systems should be able to ping the router via
...ping 192.168.0.1
ping each other by adress
and ping your ISP by name, eg: ping earthlink.net

IF all that flies, then File/Print sharing issues are reduce to
the firewalls on each system and the Sharing setup itself.

hmmm I still can't make it work but that's probably my onw doing because i don't understand all the things you want me to do there. this is what i have done so far. ivé set the second router to be a gateway and i've changed the ip assignment just like you set but when i want to assign the wan stuff it goes wrong, he needs a subnetmask/gateway...etc i dont'know where i can find that!

RE: Router

You cant have two routers on the same network (I mean one router plugged into another) NAT technology doesnt allow it. You can, however have that second router if you have it run in gateway mode (i.e. disable its router functionality and have it act as a gateway). Most routers have this feature. If the router that you have doesnt have this feature, then you cant use it in conjunction with your other router. You can, however get a cheap switch or hub and plug it into your main router to get the functionality that you want.
Hope that helps

Okay it's working now, but now the second problem came along...

when copy a file of about 700 mb from a pc on the last router to a pc on the first it takes about 45 minutes :S

can anyone explain this?

this is about right. you're moving ~one CD worth of data and even at
108mb (meg BITS), it's going to take some time

Wap

So you're using the wireless router as a Wireless access point? This you can do. But any technician knows that you can never hook up two routers (i.e. put one router (IN ROUTER MODE) on a network segment of another router.)
The computer that you have that is connecting to your network through the wireless connection is operating at 11MBPS or 54MBPS depending if you are using a B or a G router (or mixed) (11MBPS for B 54MBPS for G). So basically you are limited (no matter how fast your connection to your ISP is) to the speed of your wireless. Now, the computers that are physically connected to your regular router are communicating at 100MBPS probably (1000 if you have gigabit ethernet). If you have a wireless computer accessing the WAP trying to communicate to another computer on the router it's limited to 11 or 54 MBPS depending on what you have....whereas computers on that router are communicating to eachother at 100 MBPS can talk much faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back