Two routers boost signal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got fios installed in my house. It comes with the wireless router...which is setup downstairs on the family pc. All my stuff...xbox, laptop, pc, psp, ps3 are all up stairs where the signal is weak. I have the old wireless router still. Can I set that up somehow so that I can get a better signal upstairs with all of my stuff?

Some routers have the option of extending a wireless network, look for info on the one you have to see if that option is available. You'll just need to find a way to hook both routers together.

Yes, you can connect to the 2nd router with an Ethernet/Lan cable. If both routers are going to run with WIFI (wireless), run each on its own channel (suggest a 3 channel separation). You can use the same ssid for both.

Since you indicated that the fios router's signal cannot reach between floors, creating a wireless bridge between the two routers may not be feasible.

Sorry about the choice of words. A weak signal normally results in a low connection speed and episodes of drop out or fading. For gaming computers where performance counts, a weak signal is not suitable. However, for browsing the internet, a weak signal may be usable - if you can tolerate a low connection speed.

Boosting the wifi signal is a matter of the antenna and its location. There is an active thread on this board where they are discussing boosting the wifi signal by constructing a antenna reflector for the router. However, antennas are a 2-way proposition. Improvements are needed at both ends.

Wireless bridge and range extender both describe the method where a wireless network is created between two routers. Both routers must have this capability. The fios router probably has the capability. Your old router probably never gave a thought to the usefulness of this feature.

For the price of an Ethernet cable and the hassle to drill holes you can connect the two routers.

If you are ok with spending money, then consider extending the network. Your wireless laptop makes an excellent measuring tool for signal strenth. The laptop would be useful to determine if this could be accomplished point-to-point, or if an additional range extender is needed between both ends.

the key is to separate the frequencies. Like rf6647 said, run a cat-5 from one to the other - that's probably your best bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back