Two SLI Cards or One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

Does anyone know if it is it better to go for TWO GeForce 6600 GT SLI 128mb Ram (SLI Mode. Both cards on one mother board) or ONE GeForce 6800 GT SLI 256mb Ram. The two 6600 cards are the same price as the one 6800 card.

The cards are used for gaming.

Cheers
Duncan

I'm not sure if I understand you. You are going to put two cards in one computer :suspiciou

Two Graphics Cards

Sorry about the first email, reading it again I didn't make it clear that I wanted to either put one graphics card (GeForce 6800 GT SLI 256mb Ram) onto one mother board or put two graphics cards in SLI setup (GeForce 6600 GT SLI 128mb Ram ) onto one motherboard. I wanted to know which was the better option for gaming.

Sorry for the confusion

Duncan

I think it'd be better to get a 6800gt single. Two 6600gt's are about the same or slightly better than a 6800gt. The 6800gt has a 256bit memory interface so it does better with higher res/aa/af stuff. Plus one card has less chance to fail than two. And then if you got more money you could get a second 6800gt and have a ultra fast graphics array.

sorry about my first post I was not thinking but I totally agree with vnf4ultra go for the 6800 GT

go with the one 6800gt cos in the future if u wanted to upgrade ur graphics, you could just add another 6800gt rather than having to buy 2 new cards

Write down exactly what the card, manufacturer, model number, anything that names the card. Putting two cards in a SLI interface requires identical cards, right down to manufacterer. Just incase you might add another card later. Also, make sure the SLI bus is on the correct setting (single or double).

My advice, stick to nVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT PCI - Xpress card, because some card might not perform well in AGP 2.0/3.0 later this year, looks like PCIX is winning on the graphical card. Get GF6600 GT 256mb on 256bit DDR instead 6600GT SLI or 6800GT because if that so, you would running out of the juice out the PSU and creating tremedous heat.

Lucan

Get the 6800 GT because you will get the same performance with 2 6600 GT's in SLI. Later if you want to upgrade you can get another 6800 GT and that will give you some really kick @$$ performance!!!

Re: First post

Ok they both have their up sides but this is the way I would look at it.

Get the 6800 I would go with the Asus Extream 6800 DT as Asus is a company that is not going away anytime soon. The reason the 6800 is because one 6800 will do the same as two 6600 and when you need more power or can aford it you get the second 6800, giving a longer play window, maximizing your investment. If you get two 6600s you are just going to have to upgrade the two cards at the same time. with computers the rule to work with is get the best parts with the money you have and if it is not all that you need upgrade over time.

Yes the 6600s will last along time but the 6800s will last longer that and there are going to be some games coming out that will work best on the 6800s and some of the top-end ATi cards but not all the top-end ATi. I was not told what games they are or what cards they are but it sounds like something Microsoft would do as they have done this kind of stuff before.

Truly I don't know how much truth there is to what I was told but it has happened before, I used to have a game that was built for an nVidia Card and the next version patch would not run on my nVidia cards but ran fine one my older and smaller ATi card.

But yah One Asus Extream 6800 TD will out run Two 6600s so getting One 6800 GT will handle better... kind of the GT is realy just and over clocked TD so if you want to keep heat down you are going to have to (a) get third a party cooling kit for the GT or just go with the DT the Ulteras are realy nice and have a faster GPU and are over clocked with HUGE MoFo fans on them, I did a trial run of two for a computer store that I work with alot here and the cards smoke but you will see the increase your system temps buy about 10 degrees or more and to bring my system down to what I like to run at (no more then 48 C) I had to wire frame two 8 mm fans in the system at odd pionts in the middel of my case.

when I moved to may new case as posted in my profile on System One I could drope the fans but I was running at about 51.2 C most of the time.

I'm going for the 6800.

The tossup was:
1. If I go for the one 6800 then if I don't buy a card within a few months and I cannot get an identical card then my only choice is to sell the 6800 card and buy two new cards. The question is will someone want to buy one SLI card or buy a set.
2. If I go for the two 6600 cards then I cannot expand. But the probability of selling the two cards is higher than the one 6800 card.

At the end of the day I’m taking my chances and going for the 6800. Hey on Nvida site they say that two cards will not run double the speed ie the single 6800 should be faster than the two 6600’s. Also less to go wrong.

Cheers
Duncan

There will be 6800s for sometime

There will be 6800s for some time, yet and there will be people buying and selling them for even longer just remmeber that with SLI they have to be the very same card made made but the same company you can't use say a BFG and an Asus or MSI 6800 Ultra. :hotbounce ... Somepeople do not k,now this and I have seen a few times people want to put a 68 td and gt in the same sytem or two GTs from two companies and it wont work... But then, again I had a laddy with a Dell clean her system by puting it in the dishwasher... I still to this day wounder if she bathes with a toaster...

dunmor said:
I'm going for the 6800.

The tossup was:
1. If I go for the one 6800 then if I don't buy a card within a few months and I cannot get an identical card then my only choice is to sell the 6800 card and buy two new cards. The question is will someone want to buy one SLI card or buy a set.
2. If I go for the two 6600 cards then I cannot expand. But the probability of selling the two cards is higher than the one 6800 card.

At the end of the day I’m taking my chances and going for the 6800. Hey on Nvida site they say that two cards will not run double the speed ie the single 6800 should be faster than the two 6600’s. Also less to go wrong.

Cheers
Duncan

Try to get a very generic non-customized 6800, the chance of it to work with another generic 6800 in the future is much greater when do so. The non-standard customizations are usually what did them in.

And don't worry over much, nVIDIA's SLI - Distributed Multi-Processing GPU designs are Distributed Multi-Processing because they don't have to be Symmetric, they can be both Symmetric and Asymmetric as needed, automatic balancing is inherent, no perfect match required as all Symmetric Processing designs absolutely must have.

AMD's K7s are the first Joe User's Distributed Multi-Processing hardware that could run in perfect Symmetric-matching or imperfect Asymmetric-matching - The Processing being performed distributively.

nein said:
Try to get a very generic non-customized 6800, the chance of it to work with another generic 6800 in the future is much greater when do so. The non-standard customizations are usually what did them in.

And don't worry over much, nVIDIA's SLI - Distributed Multi-Processing GPU designs are Distributed Multi-Processing because they don't have to be Symmetric, they can be both Symmetric and Asymmetric as needed, automatic balancing is inherent, no perfect match required as all Symmetric Processing designs absolutely must have.

AMD's K7s are the first Joe User's Distributed Multi-Processing hardware that could run in perfect Symmetric-matching or imperfect Asymmetric-matching - The Processing being performed distributively.

can anyone comprehend this if so please translate it for us laymans??

the 6800s will be around for sometime...

The 6800s will around for along time, I would not worry about that what I would worry about is the company that built the card going under, I would go for an Asus or MSI as they seem to be stable companies that will be with us.

Two 6600's faster than one 6800

I called Falcon Northwest about the two 6600's versus one 6800 question and they said the two 66's would perform better (and cost less than one 6800 from them).

That may be true, but then for future upgrading, you would by outta luck. THat 128 bit format of the 6600s wont run games good forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back