Two-thirds of Americans have experienced symptoms of digital eye strain, report finds

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Carpal tunnel syndrome and tendinitis were once touted as the biggest health risks associated with computer use. While a lingering concern, it was something that most didn't have to worry about as only those whose work involved sitting in front of a computer screen were at risk.

These days, however, digital screens are everywhere and in addition to mechanical stress, we're putting way more strain on our eyes than ever before. A recent report (PDF) from The Vision Council based on a survey of more than 10,000 adults really puts the problem into perspective.

According to the report, nearly nine out of 10 Americans admitted they use digital devices for two or more hours each day. Nearly 60 percent reported usage of five or more hours each day and 70 percent said they use two or more devices at a time. Furthermore, 65 percent said they've experienced symptoms of digital eye strain including dry, irritated eyes, blurred vision, eye fatigue, neck and back pain and headaches.

Optometrist Justin Bazan said our eyes are not built to stare at digital screens all day but the demands of our modern-day world frequently put us in front of a computer, working from our smartphones and reading on our tablets for hours on end. As a result, he said, many of us are living with tired, sore and fatigued eyes and even headaches - all of which are symptoms of digital eye strain.

The Vision Council says digital eye strain can be felt after two or more hours in front of a digital screen and that prolonged periods of exposure appears to exacerbate symptoms.

Have you ever experienced any symptoms that could be credited to digital eye strain? Let us know in the comments section below.

Permalink to story.

Compared to a CRT monitor blasting electrons into your eyes, what we have today is far preferable.

I sit in front of a computer screen over 8 hours a day. I may get a headache once every two weeks. I think I'm doing okay.

Back