U.K. & EU friends......hang in there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
UK terror plot thwarted

UK terror plot thwarted

British police have disrupted what they believe was a major terrorist plot to blow up aircraft in flight, likely between the United Kingdom and the United States, Scotland Yard said today. Arrests were made overnight in London. UK officials raised the nation's threat level to "critical," and U.S. authorities raised the threat level to its highest for commercial flights from Britain to the United States.

UK terror plot thwarted

I just got home from a movie and saw this on news....
What can I say? I worry about you guys!

edit: Sorry for delay on info, I was waiting to verify it was real...

Just got a call....A friend I was to take to the airport this morning bound for Germany, just got his flight canceled indefinately..

I'm glad they were caught. It's both a shame that somebody could sink so low, and a shame that something could prompt someone to sink so low. As far as I am concerned, these people should be shown rediculous amounts of pity. Clearly, they don't want pity, but they are sad, sad individuals with absolutely no credibility, nowhere to go in life other than prison, and a whole wing of grade A prisoners waiting for them to pick up the soap. - It's amazing what people can give you when you're looking for notoriety and fear isn't it ;)

It's interesting to see that other peeps in the UK & EU are as disinterested as I am though. Maybe it's because of the blitz all those years ago that people in the UK tend to have a sense of "oh well - such is life" or something. The truth is, there's really nothing at all that we deserve solidarity for. A couple of people were stopped from bombing a plane, and they've upped security and cancelled flights just in case something or someone was missed. That's really all it is, and it's nothing that hasn't happened before. The disruption is a little annoying, but it's really nothing other than unfortunate on the grand scale of things.

yes this is very scarey, here in the US president Bush is inflight on Air Force One to wisconsin to declare a statement on the issue and all international flights have been put on a "critical" terror alert and all domestic flights are put on "high" terror alert. And alot of flights from the UK have been canceled from entering the US. The terrorists were planning to use chemical weapons to explode 10 flight mid air from UK heading into: Florida, California, New York and other popular tourist destinations since the US is in its peak travel season.

...AMD

It's interesting to see the US peeps ever so worried, but the UK people taking it in their stride. Surely the UK attitude is better, as that "scary" feeling is exactly what the terrorists are looking for. Worry about it too much and they've won.

The fact is, they were stopped. They were stopped before leaving the UK, and while the "critical" alert status in the UK is warranted by the need to keep up the high security measures in order to ensure that nobody else was missed, I really don't see how it warrants the highest alert the US has to offer. Increased, yes, but not the highest - that is unless us here in the UK aren't trusted! - lol

They wanted to detonate the explosives in midair - not in the US :)

Seriously. Be alert, but- don't worry about it. That's why we have security services and procedures that are evidently working in this case.

I agree entirely with Spike.

We in the UK tend not to worry too much. In part, that may be due to the IRA bombings we used to get on an almost daily basis. After a while you just get immune to it all. That`s not taking anything away from the victims and their families, who I had the deepest sympathy for.

Sure, it`s serious, I`m not denying that, but I don`t think it`s something we should get too worried about. If we all go around worrying all the time, then the terrorists have won.

We can`t and won`t let that happen.

Regards Howard :)

Spike & Howard I'd have to agree with you..
It was just odd to come home from seeing the Twin towers movie released today
with the friend, who's flight to Germany got canaceled. He wasn't too put out by
it and I got to sleep in a bit since I don't need to drop him off. Now this...

Yes, i understand that the flights were leaving the UK but what most UK ppl dont understand is that about 80% of the ppl on those flights were going to be americans and the terrorists wanted to inflict damage on Americans.

...AMD

plus the White House secratary Mr. Snow said that there is evidence that these attacks were planned to happen on 9-11-06, the five year anniversary of the terribale attack that took place just five short years ago that still haunts most of us today.

...AMD

I don`t think terrorists give a damn who they inflict damage on. It seems we in the UK are just as much of a target as American citizens are.

The main thing, is not to panic.

Regards Howard :)

No, I'm pretty sure we have a fair understanding of that, as we do with most things that go on on our own soil :)

It's not a terrorist attack, it's one of many foiled attempts. It just happens to be that this time it was directed at both the UK and the US and purpotrated (as with the 7/7 tube bombings) by British citizens - it was equally an attempt at an attack on us too.

Really, there's nothing to worry about any more than there usually is, and if people are worried about it usually or from day to day, then the terrorists have already won without 'winning' that many battles really.

Seriously. That's why we have security procedures and services. They are just as trustworthy in these matters as your own really.

It doesn't really mater who was on the planes. People are still people, and the thousands delayed at airports were still confident enough to get on the planes that could fly today, so why should you or I worry about it? Besides, why should the date matter. 9/11 was the date of an atrocity. Whether something happens on an aniversary of that or not really makes no difference unless you want to make it significant in your own mind. It's only a date after all - it's the memory of event itself that matters, and even there it's an event in the past. Granted, it was a terrible one, but it's nothing to be scared of now. All we need to know was that it happened, it was awful, and that we've hopefully learned enough lessons to prevent it happening again.

Given that you are so greatful that no Americans were hurt, I should imagine a little faith and maybe even a thankyou to the London Metropolitan Police and MI5 are in order. :) (that's more than they's get from me! I pay their wages!! lol ). There's nothing to be scared of when it all goes right. It's when it goes wrong that there's a time to worry - if such a time exists even then.

Seriously - this is wisdom that the UK has learned the hard way through years of attacks from both outside and in - Don't let the buggers get you down and they won't beat you down :) (even if the UK media insist on ignoring it in a vain and scare-mongering attempt to sell themselves to us. lol)

Thank you UK security forces.

Thank GOD the Brits were on the ball on this one. What I've been reading was this attack was meant to be on the scale of 911 or worse. If you have 10 jumbo jets packed with people (say 350 each)..you got yourself mass murder! IMO that's the scary part, the amount of potential death and the tens of thousands of immediate family member lives it would have effected.
Makes you sick to your stomach.

Fortunately this wasn't an immediate threat that was thworted at the last minute by some keen airport security guard. This was a mutli-level, trans-atlantic goverment investigation that has been going on for almost 7 months they said. This was all covertly done to expose as many participants as possible. I guess they made the arrests and announcements as the plot developed to it's last stages and number of participants exposed remained fixed for some time now.

Really though, thank God we do have men and woman on both sides of the Atlantic watching over these phsycopaths.

Ideed Kirock - thay are the very reason that we don't have to be sick to our stomachs with fear, I'm sure you'd agree :)

I heard on the radio while coming home from the gramps, wasnt scared, was just glad that the Security Services have earned their wages and no one was killed.
The press do try and scare monger but in all honesty the British public just want to let the Security Services get on with their job. The press attack them if they do something, and attack them if they dont. I reckon they do a damn fine job.

I also agree with what Spike said, about a wisdom we've learned, we've had more than our fair share of attacks over the past century, but i also think it has something to do with the good old 'British Spirit' the old 'Tally Ho Chaps' that you see so often in war films. Its hard to describe but I think every Britian knows what it is. The ability to take everything in your stride etc...

Hello everyone.
All of you are forgetting something. The important fact is that it was a joint effort between three countries. Not just 2. the british, pakistanians, and the americans both all foiled the terror plot. no one country did it on thier own. All these countries have learned from thier fair share of attacks, especially the Pakistanians, no offenxe british people.

Recent news said that there was about 40 people i think, and about 20 to 30 were arrested.
They also said they realeased 1 suspect.
THat came as a shock to me. The reason americans are parinoid, is becasue they are worried if there will be others out there that might do the same. What if that one person was able to take a plane, and crash it into the british embassy, how would you feel, if you knew that americans could have prevented it, and they didn't panic at all.

People need to worry, but not too much.

Non-panicked colaboration is how they got caught.
panic & Non-colaboration is how 911 slipped by.

It is being taken seriously and in a far more responsible way.
15 to 0 UN security counsel vote is unheard of..
Sometimes in a very odd way, violence can create a positive outcome...
BUT "before" anyone jumps down my throat, I believe the very same changes
can be effective made without the violence and prefer it that way..

OK, im getting a little mad at ppl from the UK now, Yes, they were going to take planes from the UK and explode them midair, but they were trying to attack ppl from the US. What you british dont get is that Islamic extremists HATE americans, and yes they dont like the UK either, but the they hate the US b/c we actaully give a DAMN about global terrorism and our commander in chief is actually doing something about it. Yes some ppl say that Bush is "creating reasons to disrupt the world" but if other countries would get off their lazy asses then we wouldnt be the only nation to make an effort. Yes, granted the UK got attacked last year when Al Queda bombed the subways, but you guys didnt lose nearly as many ppl as we did on 9-11, you british think that 9-11 wasnt a very big deal and that us americans are just paranoid about everything since then, but you know what, we have to be. We lost many many good ppl on 9-11 and that catestrophic event still haunts me to this day. So dont be preaching to me about how terrorists dont give a Damn about Who they inflict damage on. And STOP telling Americans that we are parnoid over everything.

thank you
...AMD

I have to agree with amd.
Americans need to be on gaurd. (don't say parinoid, becasue they aren't.)
Think about it.
They got their pentagon destroyed.
That was thier branch of security.
What the heck have the British have been bombed for.
Subways, trians.
Americans are almost the number 1 nation that alquida is after,
sometimes britians are second.

Guys, these are our British FRIENDS on Techspot and I happen to like them too.
They can say anything they want to me, just as you can.
I started this thread out of concern for them and some hardships, due to the plot,
that they were likely to suffer thru. I had just seen the Twin Tower movie
and came home to the plot on TV. The friend I went to the movie with, I was to
take to the airport the following morning had his flight to Germany via London canceled.
None of my postings are panicked, just aggrivated by it.

We are all at risk from terrorism one way or another. It's all of us (not US) against them (terrorist).
Please point your emotions at the bad guys, The Terrorist.
We Americans do tend to over react = panic at times. Mis-directing our response in a sometimes wrong direction.

AMDIsTheBest010 said:
OK, im getting a little mad at ppl from the UK now

Oh you are eh? May I remind you that the uk govenment supports the US 100%. It not us you should be annoyed with, it`s the damn terrorists.

What you british dont get is that Islamic extremists HATE americans, and yes they dont like the UK either, but the they hate the US b/c we actaully give a DAMN about global terrorism and our commander in chief is actually doing something about it.

Of course we get it. Who do you think went to war with the US in Iraq? We`ve been battling terrorism for many years. I find your comments disrespectful and out of order.

but if other countries would get off their lazy asses then we wouldnt be the only nation to make an effort.

Again you`re totally wrong. The US isn`t the only nation who is doing something. The UK are doing everything they can. Tony Blair and George Bush are in agreement over the need to fight terrorism.

Yes, granted the UK got attacked last year when Al Queda bombed the subways, but you guys didnt lose nearly as many ppl as we did on 9-11.

It doesn`t matter how many people died. If only one person dies, it`s too bloody many. Yes you did lose more innocent people on 9/11, but that doesn`t make it any more important than the people we lost during the London bombings. To suggest otherwise is just plain wrong.

you british think that 9-11 wasnt a very big deal and that us americans are just paranoid about everything since then.

You`re talking out of your backside. No one I know thinks that 9/11 wasn`t a big deal. On the contrary, the british people were shocked and upset by it. I find your comments distasteful.
I personally was close to tears watching 9/11 unfold on the tv.
I understand the emotion that 9/11 caused in the US, it changed the world forever. However, you don`t have the monopoly on caring or grief.

So dont be preaching to me about how terrorists dont give a Damn about Who they inflict damage on. And STOP telling Americans that we are parnoid over everything.

No one is preaching. It`s a fact that terrorists don`t care who they kill. Men, women and children from whatever country have died through acts of terrorism.

I don`t recall saying that americans were paranoid. I said we shouldn`t panic. If we all go around feeling under threat, then the terrorists have already won.

I for one, won`t let that happen. I refuse to live in fear.

AMDIsTheBest010 . you need to learn to play the drum and not just beat it.

Well picked out howard..

Well said Howard. Very well said.

AMD, they were some pretty twisted statements you made. Lord only knows where you got them from, but it certainly wasn't from any of us. There are one or two problems between the US and the UK, as there are with any relationship. There is even a very specific issue over this last event withe the airport. However, your little rant doesn't account for any of them, nor are any of them a problem here.

What you seem to forget is that the very people that you are worried about hating the US hate the UK government just as equally these days purely beecause the UK has stood so closely by the US government.

And for your information, the discovery of the plot was a British success, not a US one. The investigation of it came after the discovery...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/08/11/world/main1889962_page2.shtml

Not that we feel otherwise anyway in the UK, but how comes you feel that we in the UK should have so much sympathy for the US when she is attacked or an attempted attack is made, and that we are expected to completely and entirely forget our vast and lengthy experience with terrorism at home and from abroad, while being expected to think exactly like you do (not americans entirely, but your idea of what americans should feel), when in the next breath you try to tell us brits how worthless we are, and that terrorist attacks on our soil are worth (and mean) absolutely nothing to you?

With friends like that, who needs enemies! I'm just glad that in my experience, you appear to be a very poor example of the attitudes of the people of your country.

if he thinks that of brits, i wander what his views are on mexicans and blacks. dread to think!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back