Ubisoft commissions Adi Shankar to develop Assassin's Creed anime series

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Adi Shankar is quickly establishing himself as the go-to guy for video game to anime adaptations. After landing an executive producer role for Netflix’s upcoming Castlevania series, we’ve now learned that Shankar has been signed by Ubisoft to create an original story based on the Assassin’s Creed franchise.

Shankar announced the news earlier today on Facebook but unfortunately didn’t provide any information regarding casting, a timeline for release or the project's destined platform.

Ubisoft in 2016 released a live-action film based on the popular game franchise. The publisher conceded ahead of its launch that the movie wouldn’t make a lot of money and was more about marketing.

Indeed, the film, which starred Michael Fassbender, made just $240 million worldwide versus its $125 million production budget and has a score on Rotten Tomatoes of 18 percent. Given those numbers, a sequel is unlikely to happen anytime soon (if at all).

The good news for Shankar is that there’s no shortage of storylines and settings to draw inspiration from. Ubisoft has released nine major games based on the franchise since the original made its debut in 2007. The next big release, Assassin’s Creed Origins, is scheduled for release worldwide on October 27 of this year.

The new Castlevania series is set to debut on Netflix on July 7 (this Friday).

Lead image courtesy Emy Bitner, DeviantArt

Permalink to story.

I'm totally choked when I go to Amazon to check the anime and the section is filled with western animation like American Dad and the Smurfs. I don't know if Amazon doesn't know the difference or is just trying to show you more stuff hoping you'll buy something. But I hate going thru page after page after page and there are so many Western titles. If I wanted to see them, I'd be looking in Animation not Anime

You will get in a lot of trouble calling western cartoons anime :D

I wouldn't really call them cartoons either. The world of animation has a large variety of styles just like we have plenty of live action styles.

Cartoons are targeted at kids and generally have lower quality animation and/or visually simple graphics. The theme, world, and characters are usually simple and easy to understand.

Anime on the other hand is usually adapted from manga or light novels and covers a wide range of more "mature" or "adult" content. There is also a distinctive flavor that characters and the world takes in Anime. In that sense, not everything from Japan is Anime. In addition, many Anime adapt a larger basic story structure called an "arch".

There really isn't any Western Anime because there is a preconception in America and many western Cultures that hand drawn shows are for children. If you take a look at most animated content on networks like Cartoon Network, Nick, ect they are clearly aimed at children. Even a popular series like the Legend of Korra was animated by Studio Myr (Based in korea) and dumbed down in the later season to appeal to a wider audience.

You have some shows like "Archer" and "The venture brothers" which are both high quality and targeted at adults. The problem here is that these shows aren't made from the outset with a set story and many times include comedy. While the characters are good, they like depth compared to most Anime series. That's about what you can expect from shows where the story isn't set from the get go and the creators and directors have to make everything up on the fly.

I wouldn't really call them cartoons either. The world of animation has a large variety of styles just like we have plenty of live action styles.

Cartoons are targeted at kids and generally have lower quality animation and/or visually simple graphics. The theme, world, and characters are usually simple and easy to understand.

Anime on the other hand is usually adapted from manga or light novels and covers a wide range of more "mature" or "adult" content. There is also a distinctive flavor that characters and the world takes in Anime. In that sense, not everything from Japan is Anime. In addition, many Anime adapt a larger basic story structure called an "arch".

There really isn't any Western Anime because there is a preconception in America and many western Cultures that hand drawn shows are for children. If you take a look at most animated content on networks like Cartoon Network, Nick, ect they are clearly aimed at children. Even a popular series like the Legend of Korra was animated by Studio Myr (Based in korea) and dumbed down in the later season to appeal to a wider audience.

You have some shows like "Archer" and "The venture brothers" which are both high quality and targeted at adults. The problem here is that these shows aren't made from the outset with a set story and many times include comedy. While the characters are good, they like depth compared to most Anime series. That's about what you can expect from shows where the story isn't set from the get go and the creators and directors have to make everything up on the fly.
to quote TFS's DBZA: "NERD!"
^_^

Back