Ubisoft unveils 'Assassin's Creed: Valhalla,' watch the debut trailer here

Polycount

Staff
Highly anticipated: Gamers have been eagerly awaiting news on the latest Assassin's Creed game since early hints and leaks pointed toward it taking place in the Viking era. Now, that news is finally starting to trickle in, slowly but surely. After a (roughly) 8-hour-long official livestream, the Assassin's Creed Twitch account finally confirmed the existence of this game, and it's been aptly dubbed "Assassin's Creed: Valhalla."

Update: Watch Assassin's Creed: Valhalla launch trailer above. The game is aiming for a 2020 holiday season release, coming to both current-gen consoles, as well as Xbox Series X, PlayStation 5, Google Stadia and PC. On the latter, it will arrive as an Epic Games Store exclusive.

Earlier this week, Ubisoft hosted a long, long livestream that showed an artist drawing a large teaser image for the game in real-time (though it may have been pre-recorded) within what looks to be Adobe Photoshop. We're not history experts ourselves, and the image below doesn't seem to reveal much as far as the Assassin's Creed universe goes (minus the obvious Assassin branding on the axe).

At any rate, when the artist finished their work, an overlay revealed that an official trailer for Valhalla would be dropping Thursday at 8AM PDT -- you can expect us to cover it in detail when the time comes. The trailer will be a "world premiere," but that doesn't necessarily mean we'll see gameplay; Ubisoft will probably want to save that for (now digital) gaming conventions like E3.

Valhalla doesn't have a release date, a price tag, or any other revealing information just yet. However, with next-gen consoles around the corner, we wouldn't be surprised to see it become a cross-gen or even next-gen title. Regardless, we look forward to seeing what Ubisoft has up its sleeve on Thursday.

Permalink to story.

Great... I'm still trying to finish Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Have 200 hours into the game and only 70% complete. These Assassin's Creed games are MASSIVE.
Haha, tell me about. I think I played 80 hours and about 30% progress.

Great... I'm still trying to finish Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Have 200 hours into the game and only 70% complete. These Assassin's Creed games are MASSIVE.

Yeah absolutely massive, took me 148h to completely 100% everything (including DLC).

Still have to check out the Discovery Tour (!)

I am looking forward to this game so much! The Viking theme alone gives it potential to be the best Assassin's Creed game ever. Just like Odyssey wasn't mainly about the ancient Greek religion/mythology I expect this game, despite its name, to be about the real people and events of 9th-10th century Scandinavia and their "international adventures", not an Old Norse religion/mythology based fantasy game.

I've got 120 hours in it and I've not played it in ages, I did finish the main story and 1 DLC and I believe I'm level 57 but might be higher, its a great game, looks amazing a 65" TV but it does get boring after this many hours : - P

I found Origins and Odyssey to be too big, especially the latter, and it's a problem that open world RPGs often have. The main storyline in all such games is always about some kind of a cataclysmic problem, that urgently needs resolving, otherwise some nefarious entity or organisation will destroy/take over the world. And yet, I can spend countless hours between the stages of resolving this problem, casually ambling around the world doing tasks or missions that have no impact whatsoever on the main problem (other than giving me moar XP).

It would be great to have a game where the side missions played some role in the main storyline, however minor - e.g. help out a few people, the village becomes more favourable towards your goal, and instead of giving you some priceless family relic that you end up selling 10 minutes later, they influence the world around you. Prices in neighbouring villages are lower, random people offer you a gift, strangers to come to your aid in a battle, and so on.

I found Origins and Odyssey to be too big, especially the latter, and it's a problem that open world RPGs often have. The main storyline in all such games is always about some kind of a cataclysmic problem, that urgently needs resolving, otherwise some nefarious entity or organisation will destroy/take over the world. And yet, I can spend countless hours between the stages of resolving this problem, casually ambling around the world doing tasks or missions that have no impact whatsoever on the main problem (other than giving me moar XP).

It would be great to have a game where the side missions played some role in the main storyline, however minor - e.g. help out a few people, the village becomes more favourable towards your goal, and instead of giving you some priceless family relic that you end up selling 10 minutes later, they influence the world around you. Prices in neighbouring villages are lower, random people offer you a gift, strangers to come to your aid in a battle, and so on.

I do agree with you, as good as those games were there was too much filler in both of them, I for one was hoping that I could finish the war in Odyssey and make "Greece" win but that was not the case ofc

I loved Origins, but Odyssey definitely reached the "too big" level world design for me, especially since a huge chunk of it is just ocean.

Still, I'm excited to see where the IP goes, as I am one who absolutely HATED the garbage "modern day" segments and story, so the more they are minimized, the better.

I finished in 110 hours and enjoyed every minute of it. If you have not played it yet, play as Kassandra. The voice work is amazing.

Given how PC ubi is these days, I expect we will get African Vikings and mocking the Viking pantheon somehow.

Vikings were known to be well travelled and traded with other cultures such as Arabs, First Nations, Native Americans, and Africans.

Yes they were but they also looked down on them inside their own lands. You might find a slave of non Viking heritage but you wouldn't find a non Norse as someone who owned land or went on raiding parties.

Hello tech readers. I have come here to share my recent experience with ubisoft store.
I was mislead by a false 20% of the order and wanted to see if I can preorder the game.
The scamy ubi store displayed my promo code but the way it was shown there didnt let me see if it worked until I pressed proceed with purchase. And no, it doesnt have complete order buttin but rather unclear (forgot what exactly it was) to supposedly go to the page where you would finis the order.
I am now left with 66 dollars charge on my credit card and this is where I realise ubi doesnt cancel or refund digital orders.
I am disgusted with their store and no cancellation policy. Do not buy from their store if you are against these practices.

Yes they were but they also looked down on them inside their own lands. You might find a slave of non Viking heritage but you wouldn't find a non Norse as someone who owned land or went on raiding parties.

Makes sense, it will be like how orientals provided a dedicated district at their ports for foreigners.

I enjoy Odyssey as Kassandra, and think it's a dream for those who love exploring and fighting, as a hunter/warrior/assassin.
But my favourite's always being 'the inquisitor' in the 'magical' world of dragon age. Sorry, Ubisoft.

Back