Ubisoft's NFT announcement video has received a flood of dislikes

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Like so many things, it appears that adding NFTs to video games is something few people want, but companies do it anyway because, well, money. Ubisoft, repeatedly voted the most disliked studio in the world, recently confirmed that non-fungible tokens would be coming to one of its major titles—Ghost Recon Breakpoint—and it's angered a lot of gamers.

Update: The original article claimed the video had been delisted from YouTube. Ubisoft says that the trailer was originally posted as unlisted to direct more traffic to its website, ubisoft.quartz.com, where it remains embedded.

Last month saw both Ubisoft and another much-loved gaming giant, EA, confirm their plans to embrace non-fungible token (NFT) and play-to-earn games. This wasn’t new ground for the French firm; Ubisoft has been investigating blockchain titles through its Strategic Innovation Lab since at least 2018, and CEO Yves Guillemot said Ubisoft—a founding member of the Blockchain Gaming Alliance—considers blockchain to be a new revolution.

Not too surprisingly, Ubisoft Quartz was announced earlier this week. The NFT-based platform allows users to acquire non-fungible tokens called Digits, which include the likes of weapons and vehicles, for use in games. The selling point is that they’re unique to the buyer and feature their own serial numbers and traceable history. They come with a certificate of ownership stored on the blockchain, allowing owners to put them up for sale on third-party marketplaces.

But it appears companies are a lot more excited about NFTs and the extra money they will bring in than players. The Quartz announcement clip has almost 220,000 views, just 1,400 likes, and, as shown by a Chrome extension, over 31,000 dislikes.

The Ubisoft Quartz website remains live, so it appears that the company isn’t abandoning its NFT plans, despite the public response. Ultimately, non-fungibles in mainstream games, at least in this form, are little more than unnecessary complications of DLC and something most people don’t even want. At least Xbox head Phil Spencer isn’t keen on them.

Permalink to story.

While it's not against the law, I would like to see them held accountable for these actions. They are no longer "games", they are slot machines that require you to keep putting in money to play. That sounds a lot like gambling and if it's not I think the courts need to weigh in and define exactly what it is. Games in general need better legal definitions so people know up front what they are buying ....

While it's not against the law, I would like to see them held accountable for these actions. They are no longer "games", they are slot machines that require you to keep putting in money to play. That sounds a lot like gambling and if it's not I think the courts need to weigh in and define exactly what it is. Games in general need better legal definitions so people know up front what they are buying ....
It's not like ubisoft obfuscated what there were. The consumers knows exactly what they re buying, a game with tons of digital goods that have no real value bought with real world money by suckers. And by god are there a LOT of suckers out there.

These NFTs were one step further, digital goods with a special number attatched to only that item auctioned off for stupid money spent by morons that want a digital good with a special number on it.

The only way that this would be a success is if people actually DO it. I've been hearing people whining about microtransactions in both the Far Cry and Assassin's Creed series for years. Meanwhile, I've played (and finished) Assassin's Creed: Odyssey along with Far Cry titles 3, Blood Dragon, 4, 5, New Dawn and 6 without ever performing a single microtransaction.

I don't know what the big deal is. If people don't want the microtransactions all they have to do is not use them. I love the Far Cry series (and AC: Odyssey) and don't understand why people can't just play the games and enjoy them. Either I'm a phenomenal gamer (ya, right) or these people just plain suck if they NEED to spend extra money on these toys and I don't.

The only way that this would be a success is if people actually DO it. I've been hearing people whining about microtransactions in both the Far Cry and Assassin's Creed series for years. Meanwhile, I've played (and finished) Assassin's Creed: Odyssey along with Far Cry titles 3, Blood Dragon, 4, 5, New Dawn and 6 without ever performing a single microtransaction.

I don't know what the big deal is. If people don't want the microtransactions all they have to do is not use them. I love the Far Cry series (and AC: Odyssey) and don't understand why people can't just play the games and enjoy them. Either I'm a phenomenal gamer (ya, right) or these people just plain suck if they NEED to spend extra money on these toys and I don't.
OR, or, perhaps people dont want to have to mindlessly grind in games to earn things in game that have been made intentionally difficult to get without microtransactions, and dont want the psycological pressure that is built into microtransaction systems in their escapism hobby meant to NOT pressure people.

As a brilliant idea, what if they just made a game that was...fun? Complete? Without micropayments? Why are micropayments a thing in a SINGLE PLAYER GAME?

The only way you couldnt figure out "what the big deal is" is if you have totally ignored the arguments made against microtransactions and are simply applying your values to them. You like the games? Great, mroe power to you, that doesnt mean they're not overflowing with issues that many cannot stand seeing in $70+ games.

OR, or, perhaps people dont want to have to mindlessly grind in games to earn things in game that have been made intentionally difficult to get without microtransactions, and dont want the psycological pressure that is built into microtransaction systems in their escapism hobby meant to NOT pressure people.
Honestly, I hate grinding. I hate it so much that I never play any MMORPGs anymore. The little side missions in Far Cry and AC:Odyssey didn't feel at all like grinding to me. If someone is having too hard a time in a game, they can always just set the difficulty level to "easy" or grab a copy of WeMod.

I have a copy of WeMod and I wouldn''t use it in a game that I hadn't completely finished already. I did see that it would be useful to someone who literally can't get past a certain stage but I find it unlikely. I don't even game with a keyboard and mouse, I've always used a gamepad (which turned out to be dumb because their aim sensitivity is awful).

Then, for some reason, the thought dawned on me to use my mouse for aiming in Far Cry 6 and I ended up with over 80% of my shots being head shots (always instant kills, no matter which gun I used). I'm the kind of player that likes to clear maps, to do EVERYTHING in a game that can be done. When I played Far Cry 6, I wouldn't move to a new province until I had completely obliterated Castillo's forces in the one I was working on which, to me, is just logical.

Grinding is doing the same thing over and over but that's not what any of the mentioned games had me do. They all had entertaining side missions that I enjoyed and I always made sure to secure a flying machine ASAP to make everything quicker and easier (one of the first things I did in Far Cry 4 was take a buzzer and unlock all of the radio towers.
As a brilliant idea, what if they just made a game that was...fun? Complete? Without micropayments? Why are micropayments a thing in a SINGLE PLAYER GAME?
If you don't do any microtransactions, that's exactly what these games are. I honestly don't know why they're there. It always mystified me when I saw these "silver bars" or whatever for sale through the game for actual money. I saw some of these "premium" weapons and I wasn't impressed at all with what I saw because in Far Cry, nothing is better than sniper rifles and the ones in-game are good enough to hit a flea off of a dog's back at almost 200m. In Far Cry 5, I liberated the fertilizer factory without getting closer than 100m to it.
The only way you couldnt figure out "what the big deal is" is if you have totally ignored the arguments made against microtransactions and are simply applying your values to them. You like the games? Great, mroe power to you, that doesnt mean they're not overflowing with issues that many cannot stand seeing in $70+ games.
That's a fair assessment, I can't argue that they SHOULD be there because I have no interest in ever using them. The thing is, I still can't understand why anyone would. If someone wants super powers in-game, they should just use WeMod. That's free and it's just awesome. After I finish an open-world game, I turn WeMod on, restart the story and just have a blast with it. I think that WeMod might have another benefit that I hadn't considered. It's the ultimate tool to avoid microtransactions and it's free!

You haven't lived until you've tried a rapid-firing rocket launcher with unlimited ammo in god mode while being able to jump about 50m in the air. :laughing:

It's really unfortunate because we're being massively outvoted. There's millions of people who love MTX so much they get upset when they *aren't* included, and millions more that will happily spend $1k+ on a game straight away because they gotta get that "drip." We're being way outvoted by those people. The concept of spending money on what is effectively a digital image (skins) seems completely nonsensical to anyone who was playing games a decade ago, but people have apparently been conditioned not to think about it at all.
It's funny because the people screaming about NFTs = JPGs are also spending money on...the same thing but in games, literally a useless digital image but this time it's purely money set on fire that you can never get back in any form.

Honestly, I hate grinding. I hate it so much that I never play any MMORPGs anymore. The little side missions in Far Cry and AC:Odyssey didn't feel at all like grinding to me. If someone is having too hard a time in a game, they can always just set the difficulty level to "easy" or grab a copy of WeMod.

I haven't played FC6 yet, and FC5 wasn't so bad with the in-game purchases (in FC5 most single player microtransactions are cosmetic items and skins), but I don't understand how you can enjoy Far Cry: New Dawn if you hate grinding.

Far Cry: New Dawn is a grind nightmare in the single player campaign, almost forcing players to spend money on the pay-to-win in-game purchases. The single player campaign was obviously planned and balanced with that in mind. If you want a balanced experience without spending on microtransactions, just doing all available side missions isn't enough, you have to keep repeating them multiple times over, even at normal difficulty. Of course maybe I could switch difficulty to the easiest setting but that hardly translates to a more enjoyable experience. And we shouldn't have to use mods or trainers to bypass this nonsense.

Majority of dislikes will be by *****s who don't understand NFTs or crypto and think this somehow promotes and perpetuates the GPU shortage and card scalping... not realising Ubisoft are running this on Tezos, a proof of stake platform which has nothing to do with mining and uses extremely low power.

Plenty of advocates are screeching about how they hate DRM and digital licences because they can revoke them at any time, but an NFT would literally prevent this. Read the tech data, "tech"spot.

I haven't played FC6 yet, and FC5 wasn't so bad with the in-game purchases (in FC5 most single player microtransactions are cosmetic items and skins), but I don't understand how you can enjoy Far Cry: New Dawn if you hate grinding.

Far Cry: New Dawn is a grind nightmare in the single player campaign, almost forcing players to spend money on the pay-to-win in-game purchases. The single player campaign was obviously planned and balanced with that in mind. If you want a balanced experience without spending on microtransactions, just doing all available side missions isn't enough, you have to keep repeating them multiple times over, even at normal difficulty. Of course maybe I could switch difficulty to the easiest setting but that hardly translates to a more enjoyable experience. And we shouldn't have to use mods or trainers to bypass this nonsense.
I've already finished 6 and there were some in-game purchases but I always get the supreme version of the game anyway because I love DLCs. I have no idea what the purchases are because I never could be bothered to look. If I have a game, I want to PLAY it. I don't give a damn if my gun isn't the "super-premium, made-of-gold, blah-blah-blah" version that glows pink and blue. If it shoots, it kills.

Honestly, I don't know. I did play Far Cry New Dawn and it certainly wasn't as good as Blood Dragon (the other Far Cry "mini-game") but I didn't notice much in the way of grinding. Mind you, by that point, I had become so good at taking out Far Cry outposts that I could clear them even while being many levels lower than what it recommended.

The thing about Far Cry is that, as long as you're a good marksman and the enemy doesn't see you, your level doesn't matter because a head shot is a head shot. My personal preference for sniper rifles probably only makes my character's level even more irrelevant. If you shoot an enemy in the head with an SA-50, they're dead even if they're so far above you that they'd one-shot you just by looking at you wrong.

It's possible that my whole style of playing Far Cry (that of a ghost sniper) is the reason that I never bothered grinding. My early goals in any Far Cry game are as follows:
Goal #1: Get a Sniper Rifle (improve the scope/get a suppressor if possible)
Goal #2: Get a BIG GUN Technical (or in Far Cry 6, a Tank)
Goal #3: Always have my armour and healing equipment maxed out

Any mission that I can't just snipe all the enemies from long-range (and there AREN'T many of those) will just have me attacking it with a BIG GUN Technical or the Far Cry 6 Tank. I don't play fair when I play Far Cry and I'm always looking for any advantage against the enemy. I never even know what my character level is (I didn't even know there was one until Far Cry 5...LOL). The reason for this is that the damage caused by my gun isn't dependent on my level, only the amount of damage that I can take is (and I always have tons of medicine on-hand).

I'll give you an idea of the way I play. In Far Cry 4, when I realised that the first outpost that you liberate had a permanent buzzer (mini-copter), I used it to fly all over the map and liberate the bell towers. I did this to START the game, not as I went along. That gave me every gun for free (and I'm guessing a tonne of XP). There's no way that I could have hoped to stand up to the soldiers and/or predators so early in the game but since I was flying, it didn't matter. Once I had the SVD, the game was essentially won because I'd head-shot the soldiers before they even knew I was around.

The other early goal that I have (that isn't always applicable so I didn't include it in the list) is to discover an equaliser. For example, in Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, it doesn't matter what level you or your enemy are. If you Spartan Kick an enemy off of a tall cliff, they're dead. You could be level 3 and they could be level 25 but they're still dead (and you jump to like, level 10 for killing them...LOL).

Maybe I'm just so used to developing tricks to fulfilling missions that maybe I have no business even trying at my character level that I just treat it as normal. I have the same strategy in Deus Ex, Tomb Raider and Uncharted games as well. I never really know what my level is. Odyssey was different because it would recommend that I not go to certain places until I had reached a certain level but I was sacking the nation chests of forts filled with soldiers at least 10 levels above me. Of course, doing this takes time and patience, so it is like grinding in that way, but it's fun and exciting the whole time, knowing that if you're discovered, you're dead meat. Walking away with the treasure, knowing that I wasn't even supposed to set foot in that enemy area yet, is incredibly satisfying. LOL

Majority of dislikes will be by *****s who don't understand NFTs or crypto and think this somehow promotes and perpetuates the GPU shortage and card scalping... not realising Ubisoft are running this on Tezos, a proof of stake platform which has nothing to do with mining and uses extremely low power.

Plenty of advocates are screeching about how they hate DRM and digital licences because they can revoke them at any time, but an NFT would literally prevent this. Read the tech data, "tech"spot.
Please post this basically everywhere there's an article or discussion about NFTs. We need some sanity.

Back