Ubuntu doesnt connect to internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindObject

I'm sure you saw my post before about me trying to install 98. Well, I changed my mind and went with Linux. Everything is set up, the PC is "alive"

BUT

I cant connect it to the internet. I installed an Ethernet card. And restart it, plugged it in. And I tried Mozilla. Nothing.

I tried doing static IP and the automatic one. Neither works.

Any suggestions?

Open a terminal (command prompt, whatever it's called in Ubuntu) and type ping www.techspot.com, for example.

If that doesn't work, try ping 70.85.4.244 (which seems to be TechSpot's server).

If the latter works, you have a DNS resolving problem. In that case, check that /etc/resolv.conf contains your ISP's DNS servers (you can check them in Windows from command prompt by typing ipconfig /all). resolv.conf should have at least two lines with nameserver x.x.x.x.

Please explain this to me in more details....

I checked the "ipconfig/all" and I dont know what to look for. Also, where is resolv.conf?

So, any other ideas yet?

Also, I'd like to try other OS's for this system.

P2 400mhz
100mhz FSB
320MB ram
CD-ROMx52

Preferably one that's easy to connect to the internet.

If you connect using dsl, then you will have to set up a connection for your isp. You can do this using pppconf in your terminal. Read the Ubuntu getting started guide for the details if you are unsure

hey, im having trouble with the internet with ubuntu also. for me when i installed ubuntu, the internet was working without any work. it just automaticly set up for me. but then suddenly my ip, and dns, and everything else in the connection status changed to 0.0.0.0. ive tried auto, ive tried static, and ive searched many forums but im not gettin much help. can anyone here help me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back