UK wants to protect young people by banning the 'Like' button from social media sites

midian182

Staff member
A hot potato: Social media sites have long faced criticism for the negative effects they can have on children. In the UK, proposed guidelines have been put forward by the government to improve child safety on these platforms, including the removal of the Like button.

The Information Commissioner's Office has compiled the draft code, which says “nudge” techniques such as Likes and Snapchat streaks that are used to keep under-18s online longer should not be allowed.

The code, now under consultation, puts forward 16 standards that social media companies should meet. In addition to banning the Like button for young people, it’s suggested that a “high privacy” setting is enabled by default unless there is a compelling reason not to.

The list also states that companies should not use nudge techniques to encourage children to hand over unnecessary personal data, weaken or turn off their privacy protections, or extend their use.

“This is the connected generation. The internet and all its wonders are hardwired into their everyday lives,” said Information Commissioner Elizabeth Denham.

“We shouldn’t have to prevent our children from being able to use it, but we must demand that they are protected when they do. This code does that.”

The UK’s NSPCC (National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children) welcomed the proposed changes, adding that social networks had “continually failed to prioritise child safety in their design,” resulting in “tragic consequences.” Others, however, believe the “draconian” rules go too far, and that parents should do more to keep their children safe online.

It will be some time before any potential action is taken. Consultations for the report are set to continue through to May 31, and the final version isn’t expected to come into force until next year.

Permalink to story.

Facebook and Twitter are trash. We should have had a LIKE and a DISLIKE button from the getgo.

The reason we never got a dislike button is because suicidal snowflakes can't handle it.

There is nothing more maddening than seeing someone make a statement and not being able to gauge the true like/dislike ratio. That's been a staple on Youtube forever.

It emboldens sociopaths to troll because you only see the agreement and can't see the opposition until you read comments - which many times are turned off.

Trump wouldn't use Twitter if Twitter had a like/ dislike button.

The emojis (Angry, sad, laugh) absolutely do not tell the whole story or paint the picture like a simple like/dislike do.

The reality is that these companies claim that having a dislike button discourages people from posting or posting STUPID things.

Yeah?

That's the whole point.

They used to have a system that would automatically hide or dislike comments that were obvious trolling or outrageously stupid.

They WANT these people to continue to post because it drives their clickbait journalism.

These clickbaiters know that having a comment section encourages people to stay on the page longer - and to keep returning (to check their replies)

In reality, people who get annoyed with the constant trolling stop using the site and just leave.

Last edited:
Agreed. Any site that has a Like button needs a Dislike button. Facebook, etc are all about positive feedback, creating the illusion that everyone appreciates the drivel that gets posted.

Regarding the need to protect kids, just ban them from all social media apps and sites until the age of 18. Any parent who allows a child to have an online presence gets insta-banned from all social media for 5 years. As well as whatever donation to charity is deemed appropriate.

If they wanna protect people, they should add dislike button. Life is tough, many people wont like them, let them learn early.

You don't need either a like or a dislike button. Everyone can view the content or a comment and decide themselves if they like it. Only thing you need often when viewing comments is sorting, to view the newest comment first or the oldest etc.

I don't use any social media myself, but many people don't realize how massive the damage it does to society when so many young immature people use these various platforms while not having yet a strong grip of what is the reality of things and what is not. Social media causes depression and only that, it doesn't give anyone anything, it's mostly just bad.

Thumbs up I was thinking the same thing.

No thumbs down option means you have to explain why you disagree with something.

Facebook and Twitter are trash. We should have had a LIKE and a DISLIKE button from the getgo.

The reason we never got a dislike button is because suicidal snowflakes can't handle it.

There is nothing more maddening than seeing someone make a statement and not being able to gauge the true like/dislike ratio. That's been a staple on Youtube forever.

It emboldens sociopaths to troll because you only see the agreement and can't see the opposition until you read comments - which many times are turned off.

Trump wouldn't use Twitter if Twitter had a like/ dislike button.

The emojis (Angry, sad, laugh) absolutely do not tell the whole story or paint the picture like a simple like/dislike do.

The reality is that these companies claim that having a dislike button discourages people from posting or posting STUPID things.

Yeah?

That's the whole point.

They used to have a system that would automatically hide or dislike comments that were obvious trolling or outrageously stupid.

They WANT these people to continue to post because it drives their clickbait journalism.

These clickbaiters know that having a comment section encourages people to stay on the page longer - and to keep returning (to check their replies)

In reality, people who get annoyed with the constant trolling stop using the site and just leave.
Totally agree with your points, except one: Trump would still use Twitter if it had a dislike button because he enjoys shaking things up and seeing the left have a spaz attack.

Thumbs up I was thinking the same thing.

No thumbs down option means you have to explain why you disagree with something.

Or you have to leave a sarcastic, trolling or hateful comment.

Rather than a simple "I don't Like"
The problem with that is these comments get removed, so that doesn't exactly work either. Although this is for the better or there would be some pretty terrible flame wars going on in these comments sections.

I'm all for the dislike button idea, would be great for all these articles about Nvidia and AMD related hardware/reviews/benchmarks where ridiculous speculation occurs.

But what's wrong with that? This is a comment section after all. A brief explanation is sufficient. A person doesn't have to go into great detail nor does he need to document everything he says despite what some members demand.

But what's wrong with that? This is a comment section after all. A brief explanation is sufficient. A person doesn't have to go into great detail nor does he need to document everything he says despite what some members demand.

There is no "briefer explanation" than a dislike button.

There is no "briefer explanation" than a dislike button.
I didn't say it had to be the briefest response possible, just not lengthy although it can be if you want. If a member wants to troll, then maybe they would like a dislike button.

Also, no shouting.

It was explained in the article. Most people will not take the time to write a reply. So, a bad comment can easily get a lot of likes with a few negative comments. Than the sperg'in snowflake will scream harassment, and get the comments removed, or worse, get the people banned, who disagreed with him/her/they or whatever pronounce they prefer.
With a dislike button present, at least if would be obvious, if an opinion is unpopular.
The likes of A. S. would have never gained public recognition, if there would have been a dislike button.

It was explained in the article. Most people will not take the time to write a reply. So, a bad comment can easily get a lot of likes with a few negative comments. Than the sperg'in snowflake will scream harassment, and get the comments removed, or worse, get the people banned, who disagreed with him/her/they or whatever pronounce they prefer.
With a dislike button present, at least if would be obvious, if an opinion is unpopular.
The likes of A. S. would have never gained public recognition, if there would have been a dislike button.
That's not how these forums work. A bad comment is not necessarily the same as an unpopular comment. We don't delete comments just because they happen to be unpopular.

Perhaps you are unfamiliar with our forum guidelines: https://www.techspot.com/terms.html.

The above article wasn't about techspot's comment section.
You quoted my post which was about TechSpot's comment section so I wrongly assumed you were talking about the same thing I was, so point taken. That said, upon further reflection I think I misunderstood treetops' post too. I may have mistakenly thought he was talking about TechSpot's comment section and maybe he wasn't. My bad. Sorry, treetops.

@mailpup I'd like to suggest an, "I'm outraged by that comment", button, since "dislike", is a gross oversimplification.

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't find it at all discouraging or offensive, if my comments were found to have fallen on too tender feelings. I would most likely consider it as a secondary "like" acknowledgement. To paraphrase Elizabeth Barret Browning, "how have I offended thee, let me count the ways".

In fact, I would go so far as to suggest the, "I'm outraged by that comment" votes be tallied in the same way as "likes", and trophy points awarded for them.

First one to a 1,000 wins! ;):laughing::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back