Unable Copy From or Write To USB Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using Windows XP SP2 and my USB devices were working perfectly until suddenly yesterday, when i pluged in my Portable Hard drive (USB), only the "safely remove" icon would get displayed in the taskbar and the Drive would not show up in "My Computer".... then i chked my USB Pen Drive... for it, the drive showed up in "My Computer", but i now cannot copy files from it or to it....it either gives an "cannot read from source" error or "an I/O error occured when trying to read from device" error when trying to read... i can only see the list of files, and cannot even open them... this is not true for very small files.... (ex. 120 byte text file).. i could open small text files and even write to them.. but couldn't read or copy a 20KB word document..... I'm guessing some sort of power shortage has taken place... but i replaced my PSU and chked again, but the same problem is still there..... any help would be greatly appriciated.....

(i chked pluging into all other 5 USB ports and still wouldn't work... but the amazing thing is my USB Keyboard is working fine....)

Regards,
EmperorRXF...

Deathhawk said:
have you gone into device manager to see if there are any yellow exclamation marks?
yep... there are no exclamation marks there either... i even tried uninstalling all the USB controllers and re-installing them... didn't work.... also my USB Pen and the portable hard both work in my Office PC and my friends' PCs...

I have learnt that almost anything can happen for apparently no reason!

maybe a system restore could help or whatever happened affected your motherboard drivers-try reinstalling the disc with the drivers and see if that helps

When i have had problems i have done just about anything except throw the pc out the window! (came close though)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back