unable to access internet on wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday i turned on my computer to find out that i couldn't access AOL, it always stopped at Connecting to TCP/IP. I am on a wireless network with another computer which can access AOL. My computer reconizes that there is a wireless network and says that it is connected but i can't access the internet through AOL or internet explorer. They main computer has no problems at all which was what the second computer was like only a few days ago. Also i cant connect to my router settings using 192.168.1.1.

Please if anyone knows what i can do please help

Both computers are on Win XP
I have tried Reinstalling AOL and resetting the router several times.

If you check the status of your WLAN you'll probably notice it's sending packets but not recieving them. If you have double and triple checked your network settings and firewall settings then....You may want to try simply restarting the router.... I've noticed some wireless routers (linksys in my case) would not take new wireless clients as willingly as i wanted them to. After kicking everyone off the network for a couple minutes my new wireless client was ready to go.
Give that a shot and if it doesn't work then I guess we are stuck with good ol fashion step by step troubleshooting.

I completely unplugged all connections to router and left it for a few minutes but that hasn't solved the problem

Any more ideas?

Well that's never good news.... There are alot of different things to walk through to try and fix this. Your previous message said you couldn't connect to aol.... that doesn't mean your internet isn't working though..let's start simple...
try and ping the router
try and ping www.google.com
what were the results?
once we get the status of those we'll move on... if you need help completing those steps... just ask

I ran command prompt and tried to ping my router (192.168.1.1) and google (66.249.87.104) with both i received the same message " destination host unavailable"

What shall i try now?

now would be a good time to try and ping localhost or 127.0.0.1
we need to make sure your tcp/ip isn't corrupted.
also run an ipconfig/all and post the results from these steps in this thread...
we'll get to the meat of this problem soon enough

Here are my results for ipconfig and local host ping. Below that are the results from ipconfig from the other computer on the network which does have an internet connection

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ping 127.0.0.1

Pinging °ÿ with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for :
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : your-4rhikl8l9p
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Eth
ernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-76-C4-A3-0C

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Belkin Wireless 54Mbps Desktop Adapt
er
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-50-08-67-7B
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.159.151
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : OFFICE
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-76-6A-50-C5

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Belkin Wireless 54Mbps Desktop Adapt
er
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-50-08-93-FC
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 30 June 2005 16:23:02
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 30 June 2005 17:23:02

PPP adapter {12E0CF09-8447-4388-BB0D-0E8A2E3713EC}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.215.230.92
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 205.188.146.145
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Have you checked to see if windows is configuring the belikin adapter or the belkin utility software. In my experience it is best to use the belkin utility ie untick the box in wireless connection properties "let windows manage my wireless connection" and check the config of the belkin software ie network name, WEP etc. is all correct. It is also best to disable the windows firewall while doing all this. The Belkin one is suppose to be better anyway.

Can you access the router form the other PC oK?

I am now using the Belkin utility instead of letting windows configure but this has not helped in any way with the internet connection. The router can be access from the other PC aswell as the internet.

It might be worth trying another PCI slot, especially if the current one has had another card on it in the past.

Another tweak I have used that has helped restore the internet connection is to restore the ip address in the wireless pc. I'm asuming here that you can ping the router and you know its ip address. Right click on the wireless network icon in network connections. Select properties and then highlight tcp/ip select properties. Here you can insert your ip address (or a new one within the address zone (eg. 192.168.2.1 to 192.168.2.100) and the router ip address rather than automatically locating them.

Having said all that have you tried Belkin technical support? I have used them a few times with similar probs. and they have always fixed the problem. The call is free

Tel 0080022355460

Don't be put off by the strange accent's etc. they do seem to be very knowledable.

All the best.

Why not set both pc gateways to default 192.168.0.1
may not do anything but heaps of times (while 2 pc's connected) its sorted my problems ... restart both after doing that.

Could u post your end result once fixed up please? make 4 some good reading! & the guys here who replied know what they r talking about 4-sure!

Smart arses!!! hehehe! Good luck mate :grinthumb

in many cases by uninstalling and reinstalling the ethernet network drivers it can't fix your problem it appears that this is not a problem with your router or Winsock

mpowell said:
Does anyone have anymore ideas of what i could do?
I've just noticed on the Belkin support website a workround for some of their routers using AOL. It may help although I see one of your PC's is OK!?

Let us know how it's going.

I'm back Online!!

I'm back online, i couldn't work out what the problem was so i performed a system recovery to restore XP. This did the trick. It changed all of my settings but i can now get online as before.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I hope this can help others with similar problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back