Unable to convert 160Gb SATA to NTFS - invalid link and improper folder size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, what's the deal here....why doesn't CHKDSK, even with additional attributes added, work in repairing disk file problems. I have 2 SATA's added to my system, and both are additional storage only at the moment. I'll switch over to installing the OS on one later.

For now, however, I only want to convert them both to NTFS. For some reason they've both begun to deny my access to certain folders, with the system rendering the following error message "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable." The names of some files and folders have become truncated; and not all have long path names so I doubt that's it. I'm at a loss with this one...

Is there a utility someone could suggest, or know of something else I could try? I'd appreciate it.

I also own SpinRite - Steve Gibson's awesome HD recovery utility - but I don't think that applies here to this sort of problem.

Thanks greatly in advance!

Eis!

is there anything on those hard drives? also, who makes them? seagate has some good software available on their website for adding and formatting hard drives.

Yeah, they are full with files. I figured I'd pull all files from one and move them to the other so I could format them one at a time, but with it denying me access to some files and folders I'd lose valuable information if I left anything on it. So, I'm trying/hoping there is some way to correct this problem with it still populated with files.

try using norton ghost and make an image of the hard drive, save it somewhere else (other hd) and then format this one, the put all the files off the second hard drive on the first one, and format the second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back